Mesa M-pulse 600 vs Subway D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OgWelchy, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Power tranfo not output transfo.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I owned an MPulse and enjoyed it. Beautiful tones, killer compressor, great power. I was able to get some of my best tapping sounds and slamming slap out of it. If you primarily like the big bottom sweetness and warmth about the MPulse, you might look into Genz Benz Streamliner for something similar.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  3. Another argument in favor of a new little box from Mesa which could be a tube compressor/overdrive....

4. Today is a great day, my mPulse600 is finally back to life (in is original state) and wow it is a revelation. The only thing that sound close to this is my Bassman 135 so I end up with more questions than answers. the next step will be, If I can find them, a bench test with a 400+ and a D800+ to really make my mind.

Is this particular sonic texture is relate to the presence of tube in the preamp section or is it inherent to the particular design of the power mosfet section driven by a tube directly? I don't know.

I love the kind of warmness this amp have without being too much uncontrollable bang in the face, it really shine.

I am crazy about the 800+ (small,powerfull,cute) even if I didn't tried yet, but depending of the comparaison I will maybe end with a boat anchor again ( I previously owned two SVT ).

So I don't know what will be best for me 400, 600, 800 ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    mesaplayer83 likes this.
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I really liked my M-pulse 600, and went back and forth between it and the Streamliner 900 for a few years - when I got my Bass 400, the M-p 600 became the odd man out...

Re: OD on any of these amps - FWIW, I thought the OD on the Big Block 750 was one of the best I ever heard in an amp that wasn't all tube... If OD is your thing, I'd check out a BB750...

6. Uh! Interesting, I forgot about this model, do you figure it is similar sonicaly the the 400?

Effectively to cut true the mix you always need a degree zing somewhere. especialy with a P-bass.

7. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    This is one of the features that I like about the D800+. Turning up the input gain and getting a little clipping gives it some nice subtle dirt.

Datsgor and Leo was right like this.
  8. Thanks, I look forward to try all this, the 800+ have really good comments.

9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    No, sorry if it seemed like I was saying that - the M-p 600 was closer in sound to the Bass 400 than the BB750 was - and the Streamliner 900 could get even closer in sound and feel to the 400 than the M-p 600 could, IMO... I was just saying that the BB750 had the best OD sound for a hybrid that I ever played, if that's your thing...

10. That's fine, it is ok, I was just trying to dig the question a little more. The only drawback is that it is just waking a little bit my GAS. If I were rich I'll get one of each for each day of the week just for fun but....

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you plan on "bench testing" the Subway, be absolutely sure you do not ground any connection to the output. This is especially important when using a scope with a common ground. Special equipment is necessary to prevent damage to either the amp or the scope.

I discourage attempting this without knowing exactly what you are doing, as this king of damage is not covered under warranty.

jastacey likes this.
  12. Sorry I should say: Listening test instead. I am french speaking and I did a bad translation in my text, anyway looking at a bass note wave form do not really tell something in a evaluation. I just want to listen to it on a same cab with my different basses and try to dial a good sound, all I can say for now is that the Mp600 is really in my ballpark but reading at all the comments on TB, it seem that every models have their own personality, more than I expect, so I am more and more curious than ever.

agedhorse likes this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Gotcha, understood.

14. Just to tell you that the mPulse is not complicate to repair. I bought one that was not working and repair it. Everything is accessible , chips are on socket, no smd, old school electronic, any technician can do it. Some peoples give good clues in forums for troubleshooting (as removing some little yellow tantalum capacitors on the +15 / -15 volts rails in the preamp section.) Sell it to a technician if you don't bother to repair it, Mesa costumer service can help you also. If we were in the same town I would buy it as a spare.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. I look forward to try the 800+ and compare to my actual mp600 which I like very much.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  16. Ok guys, I confess, I got a gas attack, there were a Big Block 750 annonced at a good price I break the bank, I couldn't resist. At first I wanted a 400+ and a 800+ and I ended with a mp600 and a bb750.... And I told my wife I want to change for a lighter rig to carry, what would I do now, I didn't already told her and the delivery truck will ring the bell in few days. Ahh!!!:thumbsdown:

17. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    It is one thing to promote a product that you had a hand in the building of, from which you undoubtedly receive financial profit from the sales of said product, let’s get real though. With the plethora of Equalization options available on the Mpulse 600, there is absolutely no way that the D800/D800+ can cop as many tones as the Mpulse 600. The Mpulse is just a monster when it comes to sound scaping.

18. Hi, we are also here to laugh a little bit after all, when I repair my mp600 last mounth, I snipped a small tantalum capacitor thst become short and kill a 7815 regulator, changed the regulator and I saw some others small yellow caps, didn't check the schema, snipped it, thinking it was on supply rail also, put the power and it work, so plug it on a cab and play and play but I found the sound was very good but very clean and not so much gain, but I though maybe it is design as a funk machine with heavy slapper on a Musicman so you need headroom (I had the Rhonda Smith advertising in my mind) and two bands on the graphic eq didn't work so last night I decide to trouble shoot the eq, check the schematic and realise I snipped all the bypass capacitors on the cathode of the preamp tubes and two lower bands of eq (4 letters word !). Fortunatly I just cut one leg and it was easy to solder it back. Ok did it and plug it back on the cabs in a big hurry and forgot to lower the gain and the master. Kaboum! I think I wake all the street. I understand why it was lacking of gain now.

I tough it was sounding good, now it really sound like it suppose to.drool:bassist:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hold on a minute, you have YOUR opinion which I happen to disagree with because I just might know a little more about BOTH products. That does not give you the right to accuse me of mis-representing a product, especially for financial gain.

Since you don't have both amps at your disposal (I did when I developed the 800+), I don't think you have a real clue about comparisons. Other than the 3 extra parametric mid bands (a feature that turned out not to be all that popular, hence the reversion to a 3 band parametric on the Walkabout), compressor and a passive mid control, the Subway has the deep filter, variable high pass filter, bright filter and voicing control plus an aux input, headphone output and 2 ohm stable. It's an evolution of the whole MPulse/Carbine and Walkabout lines into a couple of smaller, lighter, more powerful new models with features that players had been asking us for.

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You are lucky it wasn't kaboom, game over. That's how it often ends when repairing amps by the guess and try method.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021