Mesa M-pulse 600 vs Subway D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OgWelchy, Jan 21, 2018.

1. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Hmm... I’ve got a D800+ and I love it. I’ve also got an mPulse 600 and love that one, too. I gotta say, as much as I love my mPulse — and I really love it — the D800+ has single best feature set on any amp I’ve ever owned.

I love the compressor on the mPulse, but honestly the combination of the HPF and voicing filter on the D800+ is so powerful and usable that I hope Mesa never builds another amp without them. The mPulse is amazing and I love mine, but I can’t say that it’s better at sound shaping than the D800+. For me, the D800+ EQ setup is the perfect blend of versatile and user-friendly.

My dream amp would be something warm and tubey like the mPulse (or GB Streamliner) but with the exact same EQ setup as the D800+. But until Mesa Boogie makes that amp, it’s the D800+

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    gepettus and Al Kraft like this.
  2. Well like I said, I post it for the fun but I know how to use an ohmmeter, before lifting the knob on the variac, but I admit I should have checked more carefully that time. I take the blame.

3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    As someone who's owned an M-p 600, and still owns a Streamliner 900 and D800, I agree 100% with all of the above... I really love my Streamliner 900 - it cops tube tone and feel better than any hybrid I've ever played... If I were to improve the Streamliner, the only things I'd ask for are a semi-para mid instead of the 3 position selector, and knob detents like the Shuttles have - other than that, it's perfect for me... As awesome as the D800 is, I still find myself using the Streamliner a fair amount because it's also awesome...

4. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I love my Streamliner! It sounds closer to the mPulse 600 than any other amp I’ve ever played, but it’s lighter and more powerful. That’s why my dream amp would be a Mesa Boogie Class D that sounded like the mPulse but had the D800+ EQ layout.

mesaplayer83 and agedhorse like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It should be obvious by some of the follow-up posts that amp (and speaker) design tends to evolve based on player feedback. I spent many years (decades) in the field listening to bass rigs AND listening to what players liked and disliked about them.

It's a fine line developing a feature set that's intuitive and useful, powerful yet not intimidating. Music evolves, gear evolves, we all evolve in how we fine tune solutions to needs. A good designer studies the evolutionary path (and the numerous products along the way) to understand the various paths of evolution (there's not just one) , and what makes one amp popular while a somewhat similar appearing amp doesn't survive.

While the Walkabout and MP-600 were designed around the same time, the Walkabout was the clear winner in part due to it's simplicity, in part due to the uniqueness in it's voicing and playability. Both were good amps, one met the needs of players better than the other.

6. I reply to myself, the D800+ is a perfect amp, why not a little box with tubes, FET, opto ect. for those who love to have a more mpulse or big block tubey feeling, who they only have to add this thing in the fx loop and everybody will be happy, but I must say we are already very happy:), it will be Chrismas soon.... Toy for big children.

s_wood likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There are some great points here that highlight the challenge of designing "the perfect anything". Realistically, almost every bass amp is the perfect amp for the person who chose to buy it over all the other amps they listened to.

Today's expectations seem to place a lot of value on flexibility in voicing and being able to have a broad range of tones easily dialed-in using the simplest control set possible. I think this is one reason why the Mesa D-800/800+ became popular so quickly with so many people.

Basspikr, agedhorse and Leo was right like this.
  8. ZGotts

ZGotts

Sep 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I own and still use both... to me the D800 is 90% of the tone and ~10% of the weight. Mpulse seems to get a tad deeper, low end has an extra fullness going on, and MAN what a great dead-simple compressor, but most gigs I just don't find it worth carrying the extra weight.

Al Kraft and s_wood like this.
  9. The compessor :thumbsup:

10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    IME the MPulse 600 end Carbine M9 compressors were quite good and truly exceptional for compressors included in an amp. I'm not a big compressor user, but when I use my M9 I frequently dial in a little compression.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's some of that compression algorithm already built into the tube emulation of the D-800 and D-800+. It's tightly integrated within the basic architecture.

eff-clef, BWorm and mesaplayer83 like this.
  12. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I knew I liked the D-800's tone, just wasn't sure what all went into the secret sauce that made it so good! :)

eff-clef, mesaplayer83 and shoot-r like this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It's complicated in many ways because all the voicing and emulation modeling is done in the analog domain. This means that I have dissected the original response (and in some ways the circuitry responsible for it) and designed new (analog) circuitry that may incorporate existing circuit element but also new elements) that reproduces the voicing and dynamic behavior that we are trying to emulate plus whatever new elements that are being introduced.

In some ways it would be easier and faster to do this in the digital domain, but what I have discovered is that in many ways it's actually easier to map an existing analog transfer function within the analog domain than it is to develop digital models to do the same thing. Since I am an older school analog guy, I'm more comfortable understanding and doing the math in the analog world than reinventing the world in the digital domain. It doesn't mean that it can't be done (I think Jim Bergantino and TC have shown that with enough work it's certainly possible, and I wouldn't underestimate or in any way trivialize the amount of work and time they have invested in their success in the digital domain) but depending on the goal of the end result, there's no one right way to proceed IMO.

14. I think I have a little idea of the recipe of this secret sauce, you remember that I like to talk to you about something, I didn't knew at that time but you were right on it. At that moment I tough the D800 was only a good preamp boxed with a simple unaltered class D module but I was wrong. Maybe you are a aged horse but you were faster than me with your new pony.:)

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Old horses might know a lot of new tricks ;)

16. Agedhorse was right...:thumbsup:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021