mesa m-pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Superfrappe, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Howdy,

Any of you used the newer line of Mesa's called the M-Pulse? I'm looking into grabbing the M-Pulse 600, and was hoping to hear any feedback you all may have on it. I'm also thinking of going witht the Powerhouse 1000 cab, which is the 8 ohm cab with a 10" in each corner, and the 15" in the middle. Any feedback on the cab is also appreciated.

2. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have the M-Pulse 360 which I think is a great amp. Great low end and very useful eq. I like mine so much I'm selling my Ampeg SVT-4pro. I think as far as sound the Mesa just sounds a whole lot better than the Ampeg.
  3. Wow, that's good to hear, banditcosmo. What do you use for cabs? Did your 360 come with the rack w/ the soft front and back?
  4. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I have the 360 as well and love it. I traded an SWR superredhead for mine, and I have no regrets. The eq rocks, you can dial in almost anything and it's not super complex like an ampeg. It has all the features you need and nothing you don't. This is THE best hybred head out there. They just came out with a new version, the venture which has 600 watts and 2 rack spaces. Also the have 2 combos with the mpulse head. I use a mesa powerhouse 1x15 cab with it. The mesa cabs are really top notch. It has a built in crossover which is very nice when using a 15". It's made with birch, which is very light and a great sounding wood too (birch is my favorite wood for drums as well, it has a similar use in speaker cabs). It's also has a metal grill and very tough covering, no cheesy vinel to rip. Go check some out at your local shop you'll be sold for sure.;)
  5. Hey rygelxvi, thanks for your post. I actually have tried the M-Pulse 600 at a local store, and I have GC in Boston holding the Powerhouse 1000 cab. I'm really excited about having one cab w/ four 10's and a 15 all in one. My current cab setup is a swr wm 4x10 and wm 1x15, so having just one cab (that isn't as big as an 8x10) will be nice.

For a while, I was set on a 400+, but the M-Pulse is smaller, lighter, and still has kick ass sound IMO. I get nervous taking pricey tube amps to gigs. I've seen too many get dropped, bumped, etc... I also chose to stay away from the M2000. It's a great amp, but just too complicated for my taste. The M-Pulse line seems pretty straight forward. I guess I'm a self proclaimed "plug 'n play" guy too.

I was really hoping to find a used 600, but after weeks of looking, I've only seen one, and it sold for nearly a grand on ebay. Hell, I'd just go buy a new one for the extra couple hundred bucks, and be satisfied that I know I'm the original owner. There is one 360 currently up on ebay, but I really think I'm stuck on the extra wattge in the 600. I have to compete w/ two dual rectifier playing guitarists and a mad drummer after all! ;)
  6. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Just something I found interesting. The 600 (and 360) says it 6 Tube Driven Power MOS-FETS. The new Venture says it has 12 Tube-Driven Mos-Fets. I don't know what this means tonewise but it's definatly something I'd like to look into, you may want to as well. That powerhouse 1000 cab seems like the bomb, but I drive a jetta so i opted for getting seperate smaller cabs. I'm looking into either 2x10s or 4x10s to put over my 15. What's your opinion on 2 vs 4 10s considering I have a 15 already. I don't need the extra volume I was more thinking of overall tone.
  7. Yeah man, I actually have the new Mesa Boogie catalog. It's the first one they've released in a few years, and it's pretty damn thick. I've had it here on my comp desk for about 2 weeks, and I've probably read through it 5 or 6 times. Some great gear, history, and other cool stuff in it.

Anyhow, you are correct about the newest M-Pulse being the Venture. First of all, it's not rack-mountable. Instead, it comes in it's own case (sorta looks like a SVT classic head) and has a removable grill underneath the head, where you have 2 rack spaces available. They actually suggest, in the catalog, that you can place an M-Pulse 600 underneath the venture, in the 2 space rack area, for a "crushing 1200 watts of big venue headroom"... lol, anyway...

To corerct you on one thing though, is the 360 and 600 also have 12xMos-Fet tube driven power, as well as the Venture. So there really is no difference between the Venture, and the M-Pulse 600, exept for the Venture is in a permanent case w/ 2 rack spaces underneath, and the 600 is a seperate rack-mountable amp.

Also dude, to answer your question about the 2x10 or 4x10... well, I dunno, that's your choice. I've always been a 4x10 and 1x15 guy, and play in a modern rock band that demands some power and wattage. I personally would go with the 4x10 over a 2x10, but that's just what I need for hte situation I'm currently in. I have heard some great things about the Mesa 2x10, and in fact, just saw a new one placed in the classifieds on If you've never been there, look under Bass, and then go to classifieds. This guy is selling a brand new 1 month old Powerhouse 2x10 for $420 + shipping. Good luck dude.
  8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    superfrappe -

if your willing to make a quick trip up to portland, a great shop called Buckdancers Choice has a Powerhouse 1000 sitting there for $700.

I checked it out the other day, looked fine. that's the one with 4x10 and 1x15, right?

How much is GC looking to get for one? BTW - the one up here is not new.

9. wow!! I too just bought a RoadReady powerhouse 1000 (don't actually\physically have it yet). been using RR cabs since 89,they are "the last word said.." in bass cabs. I already own the m-pulse600, bought it new the year Mesa released it and lovin' it.. I use it with a RR 2x15 and a RR 2x10 and it just brutal.!! I'm using the slave out to another(400w) power amp to power the 2x10..sometimes I run it at 2ohms(not for very long) and the m-pulse handles it with ease. I got it for a lot of the same reasons mentioned here(size\weight,power,ease of use,ect..) now it's time to loose a little(more) weight..luggin 2 RR cabs and a extra power amp around gets! thats why I bought the RR pwrhouse1000:D ...ryjelxvi, a 2x10 would be a great match for your 1x15(the cabs are about the same size) if size\space is an issue. that would be a slammin rig. good balance in volume and tone too..BTW, I've used my 2x10 as a "stand alone" for smaller club gigs with no problem..although,I put two175w- 8 ohm Eminence Kappa...Gamma..somethin ? (can't remember the name) top of the line"flagship" model speakers in it,which made it a 4ohm cab now.I did it for this very reason and to use as a cab for my upright...after the old factory speakers died,of course....but a 2x10 will do great in your situation....hope this helps
  10. Seem's like you guys are lovin your m-pulses too. :)

I know I'm really loving mine, but I have a concern in the way I'm using mine. We all know how sweet a drive these things can produce in the preamp, but what happens if you drive the power section? Are the tube driven mosfets going to curve the clipping so it's not a speaker damaging square wave, or is the tube there just for some tonal varience? I was wondering about the m-pulses tube driven mosfets, because in an all tube amp (with tube power section) you can drive the power tubes for a nice full tube compressed sound that doesn't square the waves, ie: speaker damaging signal.

I thought I kinda liked the sound of running my 360 a little hard, but I'm worried I might burn my 2x10, or 1x15 powerhouse cabs! I was wondering if the nice driving sound of running it hard is becasue of the tube in the power section creating an all tube effect, and if it's safe to continue to run it hard?

Please, I've been pondering this thought through my head for quite some time, and if anybody has any knowledge, or comments about driving the m-pulse power section, please let me know.

Thank you,
    I hope my question is clear!
  11. Scutterflux, personally,I would'nt push it too hard..especially if you boost any lows, you will do speaker damage..IME with solidstate amps,you don't get that power amp grind like you do with tube amps..I use the preamps gain controll for that. you could always try compressing the snot out of your signal by using the higher ratio and thresh. settings and be careful(watch those speakers for "too" much movement) and pay attention to how hot the amp is running, would'nt want to risk getting those mosfets too hot..I have to ask what you set your master volume at?? this amp is a very loud amp and I cant imagine needing to go past 1:00
  12. I never go past 12 o'clock, my gain set at about 11 o'clock, and I run my p-bass through the passive in. I just find I'm getting more drive when I turn up the master past 11 o'clock, and I'm not getting excess speaker movement. I kind of like the drive at higher volumes, but try not to push it to much to often, only on occasion. I do boost the lows a little, the three band eq at about 1-2 o'clock, and the five band parametric eq, I know it's a powerful eq, at about 2 o'clock at 100 hz, and 1 o'clock at about 40 hz. If I play softly it is really clean, but I like to dig in a little, and grind. does this sound dangerous?

Also can you damage a 2x10 rated at 300W rms, and a 1x15 rated at 400W rms with a 360W amp? Is there enough power there to damage the 700W speaker config? If it clips, is it going to burn the voice coil?
  13.'s sounds FUN:bassist: seriously, you should be fine..on another note...if you read the manual, check out the "gain control" section..on how different sound characteristics can be dialed in with that control alone....anyway, I tried it(with all e.q. flat)and it really works Ric likes the passive in with the gain at about sounds like a rabid beast,but my Genisis 5(single coil Barts w\active pre) likes the active in w\gain @11-12:00..seems like the higher gain settings(12:00+) have more "tubey" rounder sound like the manual says..check it out,it' really works..
  14. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    why do you use 10's and 15s together? i guess it's because the 10's are for the attack and bright sounds and the 15's are for lows. but maybe you could use 12's. can someone explain that to me?
  15. because I loved the sound of the fifteen, and then added the tens to compliment it by adding a bit more articulation. Both cabs sound very similar, but to me the tens are thinner sounding and a little more articulate, so they don't get in the way of the fifteen at all, only add to it. They just make the fifteen sound tighter, instead of 2 fifteen. But If I added another cab to my rig now it would probably be another 15 or a powered sub.

Now what I like to do with my m-pulse is crank the first stage eq, and bring the gain up to a slight distortion when digging in. Sounds best IMHO! :bassist:
  16. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i agree for the 15 actually. My teacher has an 18 altec lansing cab and it sounds so good, so deep. i love it. Ok maybe the 10's are more precise and more articulate but i think a 15 would be great, especially with a bass with clear highs. I have a US spector which can sound too bright with the 10's and i was happy to test it with th 15's.
  17. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    I've got the Walkabout - 300 watts - little bro of the M-pulse - and have no - I mean no - trouble keeping up with a dual rec, a koch combo + 2x12 and another mesa combo + 4x12 - and in a metal band.

I'm the loudest. ;)

Plus - it's only 699 or 799 - can't remember - and 13 lbs.

18. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Oh yeah - I'm using an EA CXL-112 and a S15-D bag end.

Sounds great!