Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-Pulse 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Jun 9, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here's the story.

i am in a rock band. i play mostly fingertyle rock, sometimes i use a pick. never slap. i love the fat motown-reaggae like bass and the classic muscular rock bass tone. My basses are Rick 4001, Fender Precision, G&L L2000.

I plan to buy a new amplifier. i have a 4x10 ampeg calssic cab rated at 8 ohm. since i do not want to have more than one amp around i want to buy an head and a 2x10 cabinet. so i'll have a complete rig. i'll leave the ampeg 4x10 cab at the reharsal room and i'll transport the 2x10, the head and the bass from home. so i'll have a huge rig (head and 6x10) a small one for practice and small gigs (head and 2x10). i want a 2x10 rated at 8 ohm so i'll have the 4 ohm configuration when using both cabs.

i am considering the following heads:

Ashdown ABM 500 Evo
    Gallien Krueger 1001
    Mesa M-Pulse 600

i think that all these heads have winning points but i feel that the Mesa will be more my style, even if i love the Ashdown too.

I need comments about the Mesa tone and reliability and i welcome comments one the Ashdown and GK too.

thanks alot for the help

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i tried one out last weekend, and all i can really say is awesome tone...i was playing through a mesa powerhouse 4x10. sounded really great.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout, which is the little brother of the M-Pulse line, and I absolutely love it. The best tone I have found, and this is even with comparing it to my Eden Navigator/PLX 3002 rig. I have only had it for a couple of months, so it is a bit early to talk about reliability, although there have been numerous posts on the M-Pulse heads in the past.

Go with the M-Pulse 600. You won't be disappointed (unless you become envious of my little 13 lb Walkabout that I carry in over my shoulder...).

Tom.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would be all over the mesa amp if not for my loud freaking band :rolleyes: mebbe if mesa built a preamp and i could hook it up to gobs of power...or maybe get the walkabout and use the effects loop as a preamp out to go to a million watt power amp :D

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and LOVE IT! it is thick and rich, versatile and very loud and punchy. I use it through a Bergantino HT322 Cabinet. No regrets. My Tone is soooo incredible I get comments everywhere I play.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Where on the web can I buy Mesa amps??
    I've been looking for some webstore to have them and haven't had any luck.

I'm really interested in the M-Pulse 600, more so after reading Bass Player's review.

7. Never tried an Ashdown, but I love my Mesa! I have an M-Pulse 600 with a Bergantino NV610, the best combination I could find. I finally found the tone of my dreams!!! Here's my rig -

[​IMG]

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Never tried an Ashdown, but I love my Mesa! I have an M-Pulse 600 with a Bergantino NV610, the best combination I could find. I finally found the tone of my dreams!!! Here's my rig -

Daveonbass - That RIG is AWESOME! I'll bet it is nothing less than KILLER! Well done. I got to stretch out my rig last night at a Harley-Custom bike shop gig. We had a sound man and all. They miked all the amps and drums etc. When all was said and done, they said they barely had to use any FOH mix from my bass rig because it sounded so good, rich, punchy and full all by itself. Damn. Surprised me, but it sure sounded great on stage. (Ashdown ABM500 EVO with Bergantino HT322)

Your Bergantino 610 has got to be the sh-t though. I can't imagine any gig where you'll be undergunned. Thanks for posting and for showing us your great bass rig O' joy!

9. Reload767

Reload767

Jun 29, 2003
    clinton, NJ
    a great amp!! i bought mine about 6 months ago and use it with my stingray (fairly similar to your rick) and a GK 4x10. i love the tone. im also fairly sure that the cab is holding the amp back, being that its 8 ohms, and that the speakers arent quiet top notch. worth every penny.

10. Roscoe5,
    Thanks for the comments! Your rig is awesome as well. I was looking into the Ashdown (at the same time I started looking into the Boogie), but never got a chance to hear one. However I have heard an HT322 and know how good they sound. It has a different tone than the NV610, being more modern with a slightly scooped mid (great for funk), whereas the 610 has no tweeter and a more in your face fingerstyle tone (which I prefer better).

Dave