Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-Pulse Venture...UGLY!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Wow, that looks, like, amazing!

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Eww, what were they thinking?!

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. I don't participate in these inane polls *rolleyes*

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Well, it's not as nice as this big pile of carrots!

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Dunno how they sounds, but damn, they be some ugly amps IMO!

link

[​IMG]

Whaddya think?

[edit: Woohoo, I've finally started a poll!]

2. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I think it looks fine. You want to see ugly? Check out the other threads about the new EB Musicman "Bongo".

Dan

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think they look alright.

They shold sound awesome considering they are basically the M-Pulse 600 installed in a Mesa cab.

Both sound great sepereate, so put together they should kick.

Peace
    Nick

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Have you ever played an M-Pulse series amp?

Very warm, thick sounding amps.

You can get some really nice overdriven bass sounds from them, or just warm thick clean tones.

Peace
    Nick

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like a cross between a SWR Silverado and an arc welder...

6. well the m-pulse head weighs around 38lbs. so your more than half way to your 60lb. limit...but it does have casters..besides,whats a little weight when the important thing is tone..BTW,my rig is the m-pulse600 head,a RR 2x15,a RR2x10 and an additional power amp as a slave for the 2x10...and your worried about a little weight:D

7. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    does anybody know how much these go for? BTW - i don't hate the way they look.

-e

8. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i like it,but i was bound to.-;)
    i've been checking out the Black Beauty anyways,and weight wasn't a consideration;i use to handload furniture 8-9 hours a day.

9. OK... so it's not the prettiest amp I've ever seen, but who REALLY cares about the looks. It all about the sound.

Anyway it comes as a 1x15 combo, a 2x10 combo or a head (with 2 empty rack spaces). From my experiences with Mesa, I'd be willing to bet it sounds killer.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Even if the head does weigh 38 lbs, its wouldnt be so bad if this was a heavy combo since it is 600 watts of power.

You could easily use it as a stage rig for shows with an extension cab. I wouldnt call it a practice amp though.

I could easily see one of these in my future.

Peace
    Nick

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Matter of personal taste- I'm a huge fan of Mesa bass gear- I've owned a WalkAbout, and for a small
    head it kicked ass HARD!
    Now, I use a Buster 2x10 wedge tube combo, a niche product along with a Diesel 1x15
    cab (EVM drivers). Both discontinued by Mesa, in favor of their Hybrid M-Pulse heads & Powerlite cabs. & now the combos of same.
    I don't care for the cosmetics of either line myself, and I preferred the EVM speakers over the PAS Mesa is using, but--I knew that these combo were coming, and looks aside, they are excellent pieces of equipment, that have a very clean modern sound.

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

:D

That grey grille and silver face just don't go together IMO. I bet it sounds pretty decent. But I still stand by my opinion of it being fugly!:p. I wonder how much it costs?

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    At least the back of the combo is equipped for rail-slides;)

14. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I kind of don't see the point of heavy combos, like what smash said. For me, it's easier to carry around a small head and a small 1x12 cab or two. More flexible, too.

I'm kind of amused by the new 100 lb SWR combo. An awful lot like the Peavey 300 watt 1x15 - just as heavy, much more expensive.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You know, if you think it's ugly but love the tone you could just get one custom done in a different colour vinyl, suede, leather, or hardwood. Imagine how "cold" that would look in flame maple with a tan grille? Yeah, buddy!

16. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

There goes the price!:eek:

17. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I don't know exactly how much the combo weighs but I have an Mpulse 360 head and a Powerhouse cab and I can carry the head in one hand and the cab in my other no prob. The cabs are made with birch, a very light and good sounding wood. The combo also has casters so you can always roll it.

18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Mesa re-designed the bass gear line from the former Diesel series to the Powerhouse, using a lighter cabinet construction and PAS drivers in place of EVM's. They told me that they had problems with powder coating on the black grilles, hence the silver.
    The M-Pulse heads are a new hybrid circuit based on the "abilities" of the discontinued M-2000 which was a great innovation, and still is
    IMO an excellent amp.
    Looks and sound are always a personal choice.
    The 400+ is in its own league, and I love the
    all-tube Buster 2x10 I use. Too sweet how that
    amp sounds with my Diesel 15 cab.
    Personally, I would be delighted to plug into a PowerHouse rig, either a combo or head and cabinet.
    & Have you seen or heard the Scout WalkAbout set-up?? Now THAT is a FINE piece of bass gear, and the 12" version weighs 48 lbs. I believe.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    They look ok but the sound is awesome. I played the Venture head through a Mesa 410 and I was frightened at how loud it was getting. Very powerful EQ as well. I think the face of the amp is quite nice looking actually.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't think they are too bad... especially in crocodile!

[​IMG]