1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa M180 Poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IWillFlyOneDay, Aug 22, 2007.

1. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    anyone know anything about these? I found a decent deal on one of these with an Ampeg SVT-II preamp and I'm thinking about scooping it up. Anyone know the power rating on it(I'm going to feel pretty dumb if its 180 tube watts) or have any info on it? I can't seem to really find anything on the internet.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I had a D-180 head for 15 years. That power amp is the same as the power section of a D-180. It has six-6L6's. 180 watts tube. They sound great and are LOUD!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is the weight of this units in the range of a MESA 400+ head?

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I believe it'll be right around 40lbs.

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The combination should give you a great, woolly, mushy, Ampeg tone at high volumes but be more flexible at lower volumes. The power amp isn't terribly powerful for bass in a rock context without PA support; it WILL go loud, but not cleanly.

I had an SVP preamp and found it to be too boomy and mushy for my tastes with a Strategy 400, I preferred it with a solid state power amp but that's just a matter of taste. If the price is good, and you like a vintage sound, do it - both are quality pieces of equipment and should hold their value.