1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa M3 Carbine 1x12 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jivetkr, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
  2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    bump

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've been watching, too: I think it's a bit lighter than the Walkabout Scout, which is 51 lb for the 1x12 and 56 for the 1x15 (the model I have). I thought about getting an M3 combo for a smaller amp, but now that I'm gigging with the WAS, I can't imagine playing through another amp.

4. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Very curious about these, too. Given that the 112 cab is rated at 48 lbs, it would be magic were the combo lighter than the Walkabout Scout.

The price at $1099 seems right, and, with Mesa's generous warranty, it sounds like it might be my next step. After a couple years of flipping and buying, I can't stomach the risk associated with used gear if I can get away with it.

The Walkabout Scout 112 is $200 more, and the M6 212 combo is $300 more. So there's a lot of thinking to do in purchasing a Mesa combo.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If it weighs about 60 lbs (which I'll bet), then I just don't see its' niche, but am still open to hearing reviews.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I played through one at NAMM, not exactly the best place to evaluate anything, however.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Had a chance to lay into this one today at a local mom and pop (reddirtbrothersguitars.com) with my NYC Sadowsky PJ5 and was actually quite blown away at the presence and sheer thick tone of this little sucker. I've gotten over the idea of 'I"m living in a time where I SHOULDN"T have an amp that weighs over 30lbs" mentality that led me to buy a Markbass 112 combo so the extra weight didn't really seem that bad. Sure it's not exactly a one hander, but tonally it obliterates the Markbass combo. Thick tube sound that was much cleaner sounding than the Walkabout or any of Mesa's MPulse amps. Above all though was that the speaker handled the B string at higher volumes with ease, whereas the Scout I had always felt in danger when pushed. I ended up leaving it flat after trying the pull out 'turbo' option on the bass knob and renaming it the 'absurd' knob, and was quite astounded at the huge sound. Can't wait to dump my Markbass, add some cash to it, and snag it!!

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    You really should try the M6. The voicing options make it seem like three different amps.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Actually, the simplicity of the M3 is exactly what I like about it. Great sound set flat. I've tried the M6 and don't particularly like the voicings for my sound. That and this combo would be for small gigs/doubling only.

10. I played one and agree. It slammed.

Did a dead lift on it and it was fine to load.

The simplicity of controls was beautiful.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Good to know!

12. I haven't had a chance to play the M3 112 combo. However, I did play a M6 212 combo at Sweetwater and it was amazing!:D

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I played an M9 through a Mesa 410 in the L&M in Ottawa this summer and it was the most exhilirating thing I'd done for months.

I had to stop myself.

If that's ANY indication of the TONE of the line then I think the M3 needs to be considered for every hybrid 100-300W rig shootout here out.

Something tells me that this is the rig I really was looking for when I went with a trace 1x12 combo way back.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    talked to mesa hollywood last week weight is 71 lbs and they raised the price of the combo to 1245 just in time for the holidays, i can't buy one till march, because i don't have any art commissions coming up until then, snapping up the 1099 ones at guitar center may be the best option i guess

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I had the chance to play 2 of these on my trip this week and you pretty much nailed it with your description... I think I liked it better than my Scout 15 and also loved the simple controls.. It actually weighs 75 pounds versus the 63 pounds that the Scout 15 weighs.. I'm trying to go lighter myself but love the sound/tone of this little combo...

16. SCT1422

I have one on the way.. Was hoping to have it by the weekend for gigs, but I'll have to wait til Monday.. :hyper:

17. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I ended up going with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-210T after all because of its lighter weight, ability to take the head out for backup duty, and better sound for upright. However, when i play thru the Mesa at Red Dirt Brothers Guitars using a pbass, i begin to regret that decision. Just a huge sounding little amp

18. SCT1422

I just kept thinking about how great they sounded and decided to pull the trigger.. I wanted to go lighter and just use my Berg HT-112ER with the WalkAbout head, but it just didn't seem to be enough power to push it @ 8 ohms.. I tried the M-3 rackmountable head with the Berg and it sounded great, but still didn't seem like I was getting all I could out of the 8 ohm cab.. Trying the cab with my M-9 is another story.. It really starts to bloom...
    The M-3 combo is 4 ohm and I think thats a big difference, plus I also like the simplicity of the controls.. I also spoke to a customer service rep at Mesa and he told me the M-3 is designed to sound similar to the M-6 and M-9 with the voice control set to the 2 position, which is what I use on the M-9 anyways.. So I'm looking forward to the combo and it should great for most of my gigs...:bassist:

19. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    I played through one, all descriptions acurate, I may be weak, but I thought it was too heavey for my taste. I thought it would really excell for R&B but I'm sure it can do everthing. I went with a EA iamp 500 and NL-210, mainly because I was looking more for upright bass. Loved the m3 combo, oh yeah it has casters, at least on a model at bass central and the one I saw at GC rockville, MD (they had one in stock, special order, never got picked up. Another reason I didn't get it the internet said it was white tolex which I prefered but in reality it was black.) Congrats to those who are getting one; M3 combo

20. SCT1422

Arrived yesterday and passed the 1st test which involves my garage.. Usually everything sounds like crap, but this sounded pretty good..:hyper: