1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa M6 carbine head- which 112 cab (pair)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EighthNotes, Aug 10, 2012.

1. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    I've just been searching around because I am thinking of selling my Ampeg SVT-410HLF in favor of something lighter. I hear alot of good things about 12" speakers on here. I have a Mesa m6 Carbine head (600W @ 4 ohms, 320 @ 8). Which brand of 1x12 cabs are a good match for this head both singly and in a pair? Or, if it has been answered before, point me in the right direction :hyper:. Cost is a factor, as I would be wanting to spend not much more than I may get for the 4x10. I was looking at Genz-Benz Focus and GK Neo series, but I want to hear all suggestions. Thank you in advance for any responses!

-Justin

2. If you like twelves I would be looking at an 8 Ohm 212.

3. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Aw crap, I should've been more specific :eek: I was asking about brands. I am going to edit the original post. Sorry. But to your point, I am more into two 112's for the sake of being able to use one or two depending on the situation and also for the fact that two 112's are physically taller than a single 212 (with the exception of maybe the GK Neo 212). I willl keep this in mind, however. Thank you!

Another edit: Thank you for making me look at 212's again, you've got me thinking haha

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 a Powerhouse 212 in 8 ohms would be the answer.

5. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    I would love a Mesa cab but can't justify the 9 bill pricetag. :crying:

6. Shop used.

Two 112 cabs wouldn't be enough for me. I would seriously be looking for two 8 ohm 212 cabs.

7. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    I see you have fEarfuls but how would you rate the GK MBE 212 8 ohm version? The price, size, and weight are right.

8. Those gk cabs are a good bang for the buck. Would they sway me from my current cabs? No way. But I wouldn't say no to them if a venue was supplying a pair.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I'd go with super 12s-fEARful or LDS or Audiokinesis. The pairing of these types of cabs with a Carbine has changed my expectations of what a bass rig can do. In addition, a single one of these will be almost as loud as 2 of an "off-the-shelf" cab, and the pair will bury any pair of conventional cabs.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa cabs, try used. I saw a 1x12 for $400 buy-it-now on ebay recently. I've used all kinds of cabs... Mesa are a head above the rest for me (though my Megoliath is pretty legit). The 2x12 is relatively light weight for a big/loud cab.

11. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Personally I would stick with the regular NEO line if were you. Much better cabs all the way around. I'm talkin GK here.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned a few Mesa cabs over the years and have decided that I really like Bergantino better. Just personal preference, but I really think Berg Cabs and Mesa Carbines are made for each other.

Also, Bergantino makes some of the best 112's on the market. Not cheap, but worth the extra $$$ IMO.

13. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Thank you all for the helpful replies! Lot of good options for me to look into.

My only other question would be do I still stick with 8 ohm cabs if the Carbine can handle 2 ohms? I see the GK cabs come in 8 and 4 ohms and can handle 600w, which is what the Carbine puts out at 4 ohms.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Depending on your tone goals & budget it would not hurt to look at a pair of GB NeoX 112t's or a pair of GB Focus 115's. I've been using a NeoX 212T (it's 4ohm) for quite a while now and it has always delivered the goods.

15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Genz +1

16. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1 more!
    I play through the same rig, and it's amazing.
    I also have a PH 115, but the 212 is SO much louder with the M6!

17. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    That's a rare find! Was it a Powerhouse, or an old Diesel?
    The PH 112s are impossible to find used.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    For most 112s it would make zero sense to get them in 4 Ohms with the Carbine. Most stock 12s will compress well before they actually reach 150 watts (forget the published thermal ratings, which are useless). A super 12/6 is a different animal with a different woofer and CAN handle the M6's 4 Ohm output, but AFAIK only the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12 comes in 4 Ohms. Amazing cab. Unless you need the full volume of a pushed 410 that cab will handily outperform pretty much any standard 12 interms of absolute volume, but it's not tuned as deeply as a fEARful or LDS 12/6 IME.

19. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
  20. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007