1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa M6 Carbine Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nlepisto, Feb 7, 2017.

1. nlepisto

nlepisto

Apr 4, 2012
    San Diego
    Hey what's up guys?

So my m6 decided to take a dump for some reason and i'm not too sure what the problem could be. I've had my amp in my apartment for months now, took it to the jam space to practice for a show this Friday and for some reason, my amp sounds like the speakers are blown. Anything i play sounds like bassy static.

I plugged in a different amp and my cabs are fine (Powerhouse 2x10 and powerhouse 1x15). So i'm not really sure where to start diagnosing this problem.

I tried different cables, only using 1 cab, using the other speaker output, different basses...nothing makes a difference. Did i blow a transformer or something? any help would be appreciated! I don't want to have to use a DI pedal or anything this Friday :(

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give the customer service guys a call at the factory, they will help you get this sorted out. They are there Mon-Thurs.

Al Kraft and Jim Carr like this.
  3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

I've two heavily gigged M-6's.
    One of them started making a "static" sound at power-up.
    A new pre-amp tube solved the problem.
    I'd try a new tube first.

If that doesn't resolve the issue I'd follow agedhorse's recommendation and contact Mesa's C.S.
    They did the up-grade service on one of the M-6's awhile back.
    They where GREAT!
    Had the head repaired and back to me in the agreed upon time and at the agreed upon price....

Al Kraft and Jim Carr like this.
  4. nlepisto

nlepisto

Apr 4, 2012
    San Diego
    Thanks i'll try the preamp tube and see if that fixes the issue. I got in contact with a tech at Mesa, and they're telling me it sounds like a blown MOSFET. To fix that, and get the upgrade pack you mentioned would cost about 350-400$.

Guess i got some thinking to do. The tech wasn't too detailed about what the 400 bucks gets me...just that if i want a reliable amp, it's necessary.

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Mesa did the updates on my M3, M6 and M9 a few years back...I sent them in prior to having failures. For me it was worth the peace of mind and I trust them to get it right. They came back from their cross country trip in pristine condition and are working perfectly to this day.

shoot-r likes this.
  6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1 with Al's take on Mesa's C.S.

Hope it is just the tube, but if not, the Mesa up-grade will get your head's components back to new condition.

If you liked your M-6 when it was new, the up-grade will restore it to that.

My old M-6 came back sounding just as good as new and has been rock solid since.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. nlepisto

nlepisto

Apr 4, 2012
    San Diego
    I did love the mesa, but i picked up the Darkglass Microtubes 900 and i'm loving the size and sound of that amp even more! I guess what made it harder to justify dropping another 400 on the amp, was i'm only 2 months past the warranty that would have repaired the amp for free haha. I'm just going to get the power amp fixed and either sell her or keep it as backup. I wish this upgrade pack was more common knowledge about this model, but oh well...