1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa M6 vs M9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeonD, Apr 23, 2009.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'm considering either a M6 or a M9.

It seems like for $200 more for the M9, I get a graphic eq, compressor and 300 more watts.

That seems like a pretty good deal. Other than the $200, is there a downside to the M9?

LeonD

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I just got a report from a buddy that the M9 is much larger (deeper) and much heavier than the M6.

I can't imagine the vast majority of players needing more ooomph than the M6, which has true lead sled credentials. So, they key would be if the size/dollar/weight trade-off to get the compressor and graphic is a good one.

I personally would love to see an M6b with those features for $100 more dollars. IMO, they would sell a zillion of them.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    My M9 arrived yesterday and didn't work. Beautiful construction. UPS will pick it up on friday and send it back to the west coast. Man, Im so bummed out.:bawl:

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Mesa seems to really be having trouble with the M6 and M9's. I wonder what is going on. They don't seem that different in circuitry and design from the MPulse line, and those have been relatively solid for years now.

5. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I'd go for the M9 for the graphic eq.

From the reviews I read and TBer's descriptions of the M6's sound, I expected to love that amp, but I didn't. I suspect it would have been easier to get "my sound" if it had had the graphic eq.

I was also one of the folks that thought the amp is excessively noisy (there are a few posts about this issue). Again, the graphic eq might have helped tame the excess high frequency "hash."

Lots of people love the native sound of this amp, so your experience may be very different from mine!

Good luck,
    Greg

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I've found two stores near me (within 50 miles) that have these amps in stock. With MB's no discount policy, it doesn't make sense to do it mail order.

I guess I'll actually get to hear them before I buy; quite a rarity in these internet days.

For those with problems, did it appear right away or develop over time? Would I be able to hear the problem while I'm trying it out in the store?

LeonD

7. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Although I have mine posted for sale on this site, I can't imagine having more power or headroom with this style amp. Dang, I could hardly turn the master up past 3 with the gain at noon or 1:00. And... aside from the graphic everyone is raving about the amp is heavy and deep enough that I would never want one any deeper in a two space amp like this, that's a deal breaker for me. I agree with Ken a graphic added to the M6 would make more sense and I'm a head room junky too. I just prefer my DB750 is the only reason I'm moving mine. Also, I've never had one issue with mine, it works flawlessly and so does my pal's Big Red Six. I know there have been a few or maybe 5-6 M6 owners that had a problem. Boogie makes good gear IMO plus there is a 5 year transferable warranty, nice.

8. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I am going to audition an M9 tomorrow. There aren't any M6s available in my area right now.

So for those who have played through both the M6 and M9, will the M9 sound like an m6 assuming I don't use the graphic EQ and compressor?

I don't use compressors, have never liked graphics, and don't want the extra size/weight of the M9. From everything I have read it sounds like the M6 might be a good fit for me.