1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa M9 Carbine Head or Aguilar AG 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist157, May 10, 2010.

1. bassist157

bassist157

Oct 23, 2007
    Hello everyone! I'm looking to get a new head for my rig, and I'm having a hard time picking one. I have it down to the Mesa M9 Carbine and the Aguilar AG 500. My only experience to these amps is I have played a M6 once at guitar center. Aguilar is not a common amp in music stores so I've never played one but I've heard very good things. I like the 2 channel idea on the Aguilar and I will use it for some songs but I don't know how the overdrive sounds. I need help!

I play in a Christian Rock group that has a mixture of heavier(Pillar, Disciple, Skillet) like music to worship music and even to some acoustic. My cab is a Mesa Powerhouse 1200 and i also use a bbe sonic maximizer. With this all in mind, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No direct experience with either one here. But I'd be amazed if the TB consensus was anything other than "get the Mesa".

Way more power to drive that big Mesa cab of yours. And Mesa works really well with Mesa. :meh:

Get ready for that rig to blow the doors off...

MM

3. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    My advise, go the Mesa M9. Plenty of tone and ESPECIALLY headroom for your cab. The Aguilar gear is really good stuff but the AG500 will fart out with that cab. Its only 500 watts and a low rated 500 at that. If you go Aguilar, get the DB750 of DB751. Those heads are great and will easily handle that cab you have.

My 2 cents!!

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I have the AG500 and have played the M9.

I love the M9 and I recommend it.

The aggie is a great sounding amp for sure, but its fragile. Great thick bass tone though. Not sure why you guys say its not loud enough. My only problem is that it goes quiet to 'too loud' too quickly.

5. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    You are referring to the M9, right? The M9 goes loud very fast. I don't remember the AG500 doing this as I had 3 of them in the past. I mentioned the 1200w Powerhouse cab he has. The Aguilar AG500 will not push it. Not enough headroom at 4 ohms....

6. Yup. Get the Mesa...

7. bassist157

bassist157

Oct 23, 2007
    Ok well thanks for the help everyone! This definetly helped with my decision with the Mesa.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I notice that all Mesa's get loud really quick.

The Aggie for me was either too quiet and couldn't be heard, or overpowering everyone else in my 5 piece band.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    To use with the Mesa cab?
    No brainer=Mesa.

10. +1

Mesa heads + Mesa cabs = special. :bassist:

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008