1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa M9 Carbine vs. Aguilar DB-750/751

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JCdub, Apr 7, 2009.

1. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I have been using an Ampeg SVT 4pro for 10 years now and I am looking to upgrade. Does anyone have any opinions on the carbine compared to the aguilar (I know the 751 isn't out yet)

:bassist:

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    well are you looking all tube or hybrid?

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Well all i know is that the Mesa is less expensive.. I haven't tried the 751 yet. i have tried the 750 and it is a monster...
    The mesa is about 1199 i tried the M6 which is 300 watts less than the M9 and its loud... the M9 would most likely just slam

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Haven't tried the M9 yet, but owned an M6 for some time, and now own a DB750.

HUGE price difference aside ($1000 or more if you're talking brand new), they are totally different animals. The main similarities between the two (well, the M6 and the DB750) are that they are both loud as hell. The M6 "feels" like it's much more than the 600 watts it supposedly is, so I can only imagine that the M9 will be a monster. But the DB750 is quite possibly the most powerful feeling head I've ever played through, IMO.

I'll leave the tonal descriptions to the guys who are better at describing that sort of thing.........;)

5. They're both hybrids aren't they?

6. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, They are BOTH Hybrids.

Price IS NOT an issue to me since I believe in getting the best of the best and making it last.:cool:

Here are the differences I have Discovered so far:

-M9 Is about $800 cheaper than the Aguilar DB750/751
    -M9 Has 1 12ax7 in the Preamp, Aguilar has 3 12ax7 preamps tubes
    -M9 Has a Compressor & Graphic EQ Built in
    -M9 is about 10lbs Lighter and is 2 Rack Spaces (Aguilar is 3)

I am mostly concerned with Overall Tone, usability and ruggedness. I am also very concerned with how good the DI Output sounds coming off of the amp for Recording & Live Purposes

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There is no "best" between these two. Which one is best for YOU is another story--especially when it comes to overall tone.

It would help if you gave us a little more information (what style of music you play, what kind of tone you are after, etc.)

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I have not played the M9 yet, but I describe the M6 is punchy, upper mid aggressive, with the ability to get VERY punchy and aggressive and a bit growly in the mids if you want (with that mid voicing control). The DB750.. fat, smooth, pillowy, warm, organic, big sounding, and pretty much a 'it does what it does very well' uni-sound head. I'm not sure if the 'improved' tone controls on the DB751 will allow for more mid punch and tone sculpting. If so, that would be a very good thing IMO.

Since the M6 gets about 85% of the DB maximum volume at 4ohms to my ear, my guess is the M9 would win the volume fight with the DB750, but once you get to that level, a little louder or softer is kind of a moot point IMO.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They are both going to be A+ on all these criteria. I would suggest also considering the Mesa Titan. Since you're coming from Ampeg, I think the M9 would be the most shocking tonal change, followed by the DB, then the Titan. If you like dirt at all, the Titan is the only choice, but it is also a slammin' clean head. The active+passive mid controls work together well to get whatever tone you need, and I love the voicing on the bass and treble.

I personally liked the tone of the 659/750 but had trouble getting it EQ'd right with my band. The Titan and M9 are both very flexible tonally, the 750 is very much a one-great-trick-pony. If they had added any kind of parametric mids to the 751 it would be a lot more appealing to me. Two bands of mids would be even better. Some of us like to mess with the balance of low mids and high mids!

10. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I am kind of leaning towards the M9. Simply because it has the compressor and Graphic EQ built in. I do have a few good external compressors, but I really like everything on one unit.
    (Does anyone have a review of the onboard compressor in the M9??)

The M9 only having 1 Tube concerns me.

I have tried 100% MOSFET Amps like Markbass, and they just sound and feel TOO Sterile for me.

On the Other side, My Ampeg SVT 4 is a little TOO DIRTY for me and the preamp clips too easy.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Assuming the compressor is the same circuit that is on the MPulse600, it's a VERY good one, with separate threshold and ratio controls. Nice!

IMO, I always describe the M6 (and I assume the M9) as the 'Mesa for those who don't like Mesa'. The M6/M9 is much more toward the solid state side of the hybrid tone continuum, closer in general tone IMO to the general Markbass voicing (tight, quick, clean, bright) than to the MPulse line of Mesa Hybrids, with the DB750/Titan being the most 'aggressive tubey' of the bunch (per Pickle's comment).

IMO and IME. From your description, the Titan would be the ticket for you IMO.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Titan with a Maxon CP-9Pro+ (or a DBX160 if you want to put it in the rack) for compression is easily one of my favorite amps ever. Its much cleaner than an ampeg, but not at all sterile.

Agreed that the 600 comp is great as well, if they used that in the M9 it'll be a winner. That comp softens up the sound a little, which should compliment the carbine voicing well.

13. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Are there any stores in the New York City Area I can try out the M6/M9?

The guitar centers didnt have ANY of them in stock

I really like the front pannel on the Titan. So I am Ruling that out.

14. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    The Agi DB750 comes with a 10 year warranty, and the M9 comes with a 5 year transferable, and both can be run at 2 ohms. 2 ohms is very rare in an amp, and naturally translates into a higher wattage output. The Agi's warranty may be transferable as well. More tubes in the Agi 750 means the amp will sound louder than another amp rated the same wattage with less tubes.

15. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    My understaning is that GC has gotten out of both Aguilar and Mesa Boogie.

16. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    How would the DI's on the m9 & Aguilar hold up for FOH & Live Recording?

I have an Avalon u5, but I mostly use it in the studio and would like to keep my Live rack small as possible
    (it already has a furman & tunder in it)

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    The compressor is basically the same circuit that was in the M-Pulse...with a slight modification (I don't remember exactly what I was told so I will leave it at that)...But the compressor on the M9 works great...

18. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    ??? I like all those knobs.

I played the M6 and M9. The M9 graphic EQ is VERY good sounding and so is the compressor. It really is a winner if you like the tone. I owned a DB750 and while it slayed like a wrecking ball, I did not like that it was really only one-dimensional IMO, I opted for the Titan for the versatility and warmth which I feel the M6/M9s lack.

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm sorry man, but this statement is nonsense.

The DB750 is certainly a very loud and powerful head (I own and gig one), but its not because it has a couple more 12AX7's in the preamp stages.

Threadstarter: To those of us who love their DB750's, there's almost nothing else that will work in its place. KJung and I have both been preaching a lot recently about how critical it is to match the DB750 with the right cab. I use a Schroeder 410R with great results. If you go the DB750 route you should try and pair it with a very tight and focused sounding cab to balance out the rather wide tone of the DB750. Very modern, wide sounding cabs like the Epifani UL stuff can be a disaster with the DB750.

20. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I tried a DB750 with my Epi UL410 and didn't think it matched well, for the reasons stated above. The M6, even though it has a lot of low end, seems to be tight enough to sound pretty good with my UL410 as long as the bass/mid balance is right. Would the Titan be better or worse than the M9 with wider voiced cabs?