1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa M9 Output problem......Help please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomad5, May 2, 2010.

1. Nomad5

Nomad5 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    The Problem:

Nearly new M9. A week ago, I wasn't getting any signal to the cabinet - thought it might be a cable - switched cables - no luck. If I "wiggle" the speakon just right I'll get a signal. Decided to use the other output for the time being, as I had some full-out practices with a new band and my debut gig next Friday.
    Now both outputs exhibit the same problem. My authorized warranty shop (Slemmons) says "we'll look at it in about 3 weeks"!!

The Questions:

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so what was the fix?

Does this seem like something I might "see" if I open the cabinet?

Does anyone know someone in DFW who may be able to look at this quickly for me? I'll gladly pay a premium bench-rate!

TIA for any & all replies.

Cheers,

2. Doufuss

Doufuss

Mar 4, 2009
    Congratulations on your M9. I bought one two days ago and will follow this thread with interest.

I'm the kind of guy that opens my gear up and looks at all the wiring and electronics just out of curiosity. Know that there are very dangerous voltages inside and you could electrocute yourself. Don't touch anything! Now that the obligatory warning is in place, go ahead and open 'er up!

You'll probably see the leads internally to the Speakon connectors are either marginally connected or in fact damaged in some way. The plastic chassis of the speakon may be damaged as well. I think this is more likely as it may have been abused in store or perhaps somebody stepped on a cable when you were not looking.

The thing I noticed about the M9 where it differs from the M6 Fathom I had is the AC socket does not seem to grip the power cable as well. I bought mine used, so you never know.

Still, sounds awesome and is sooooo flexible. And powerful.

Tell these guys you need it now, and wave a 50 at them. I'm pretty sure bribery is still a very effective way to get to the front of the line.

Good luck!

3. First, are you using speakon or regular 1/4 speaker connection?

4. Thing is that if someone other than an authorized service centre works on your amp you wil probably void your warranty.

Paul

5. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Using Speakon (speakon to speakon BTW)

......I should try a 1/4 to speakon and see what happens.....

I'll do that and re-join the thread.

thanks

6. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, I may have to take that risk. A simple re-soldering of an output, or replacement of a speakon connector may be overlooked by Mesa. They're nice folks in CA and they know I'm in a bind.

7. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    By the way, Paul. I'm from Hamilton!

8. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Happen to have a 1/4 to speakon here, and tried it. It worked fine! Even with the "wiggling" there was no loss of signal.

I also realize the speakon ends look different on the inside. (sorry, I'm not too technical with electronics) There seem to be 4 contacts in the speakon to speakon cables I bought, and only 2 contacts in the 1/4 to speakon I have. Maybe that's the problem??

Off to GC to see what they have in stock.....

9. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Problem solved. Outputs didn't like the 4 pole connectors on the cables I was using. Changed them out.....good to go.

Thanks for the replies.

10. Whatcha doin' so far away from Steel Town??? :)

Paul

11. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Moved here almost 3 years ago - wife's work. Thought it would be a great adventure......and it is!

I still get back to visit once in a while, but I'm hooked on sunshine now.

Cheers,

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    M9 into a Quatrro, how's it like?

13. Nomad5

Jan 23, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Fargin' amazing. I'd like to get another Quattro & run 'em together.

Cheers,

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    M9 is an amazing beast eh? I freakin love mine with pretty much any cab!

15. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    M9 is one of the most versatile, powerhouses out there. Great amp in only a 2 space config.... Glad it got worked out and resolved.