Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Mpulse 360 & Mesa P410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DarkSkid98, Mar 1, 2005.

1. DarkSkid98

DarkSkid98

Feb 24, 2005
    Hello everyone I'm new to the board and just started playing bass a few months ago. I am looking to pick up a Bass head & cab. The local music shop is selling out on all its gear. They have a 1)Mesa M pulse 360 head for $499.00 New
    2) Mesa Powerhouse 410 for $599.00 New
    Is this a good setup to start with? I have researched the price and haven't been able to get it for less than $1575.00 anywhere else. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    First, welcome to the board. The problem here is we don't know what kind of music you play, what kind of musicians you will be playing with, what kind of bass you're using or any other kind of pertinent information. All I can tell you IMO is that if these items are new, they are fine pieces of equipment to "end" with, much less to "start" with. Here's the most important issue: have you tried them out with your bass? Do you like the tone? If so, you should strongly consider them, all else being equal. I've been very happy with my Mesa equipment.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Welcome! And, get the Mesa gear! It's a great start!

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, Mesa is high quality stuff... Do you need it for one? Will it suit you and your sound? Have you played through them? etc etc..

Alot of cash to shell out after only 3 months playing, but if it's what you want, go for it.

5. DarkSkid98

DarkSkid98

Feb 24, 2005
    I play mostly Classic Rock and some heavy metal. I tried a few different amps and cabs. To my ear the Mesa set up sounded the best. I normally would not spend this much but I'm saving about $600 off the retail price. So I figured even if I give up on the bass (which I don't think I will) I could still sell it and get my money back. I have also heard that Mesa Is very reliable and its built like a tank.

Thanks

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Look, for classic rock and heavy metal, the Mesa will be excellent. Test it out for a good 30 minutes in the store. If you notice no problems, you should be fine. Take another more experienced bass player with you to give you feedback. Also be aware, the knobs are very sensitive. Start with everything flat (at 12:00) and go from there. First play with the gain to get the kind of growl you're looking for. A little bit of play with the EQ goes a long way.

If everything's working fine and you like the tone, go for it!

IME, my Mesa equipment has been very reliable.