1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa MPulse 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Mar 19, 2013.

1. There's a used Mesa MPulse 360 for sale a couple of hours drive from me, considering purchasing it. Just thought I'd come on here to see if anyone has had much experience with it? Opinions? Cheers :)

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I had one and thought it was a great head...loud for it's wattage rating, and had a great little built in compressor...

3. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    Most Mesa gear holds it's used value for a long time.

If you are getting a decent deal on it, you can't really loose either way...

4. Awesome head. Built like a tank, powerful, beefy, great eq.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have the M-pulse 600, and really like it - it's an extremely versatile amp with a great feature set, and a killer DI...

- georgestrings

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I owned the 600 for a while and loved it. I regret selling it! If the price is right I doubt you'll be disappointed. Great warm sounding big booty amp with a rock orientation, amazing compressor as someone mentioned.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It's a Mesa you can't go wrong

astormchild likes this.
  8. Great stuff guys. I'm really leaning towards buying it. I already have a Big Block 750, so the only thing that's slightly putting me off is whether I'd actually use the M Pulse 360 that much! It's going for €550, which is a pretty good deal over here on my side of the pond.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I actually traded a BB750 and cash for my M-pulse 600 when it was new, and have never regretted the move for a second... The BB750 had too much grit/growl for my tastes, and tended to disappear in a band mix, whereas the M-p 600 does the warm and clean thing, with just the right amount of grit/growl for my tastes... As long as it has enough power for your needs, the M-p 360 will be a more versatile amp for you - and if it's anything like my M-p 600, it will be very loud for it's rating...

- georgestrings

10. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
    I have compared the Mpulse 360 to a SWR 350 (chrome face) and to my ears the Mpulse seems to be way much louder than 10W difference. Also very warm, tube like. And the 5 parametric EQ needs time to get adjust. I have noticed it doesn't seem to be too much change tweaking these knobs, but they indeed changes the sound a lot. Having had a couple of heads, this one seems the most tubey sound of all.

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It should be noted that the volume taper on Mesa heads tends to be much quicker than some others- on my Walkabout it seems to reach full power at around 50% on the Master Volume control, and it was the same with my old M6 Carbine. The Mesas I've had do tend to have nice midrangey voicings that can cut through a mix well at least in my experience, so they can sound loud for their wattage. I personally find my Walkabout (which is like a less featured version of the Mpulse 360) sounds pretty fantastic just set flat- the Midrange knob seems to have the most pleasing effect for me...

12. I loved my M-Pulse 360 while I had it, it was a killer amp. The only reason I sold it was because I went to a power/pre rig. I think I sold mine for $450 and paid 5 for it, I was really happy with the amp, and running through my PH412 it had more then enough volume for either of the two bands I played it in.