Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Mpulse 600 bit the dust, ideas on repair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nocturn, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Nocturn

Nocturn

Mar 9, 2005
    Im running a fairly new (6 months or so) Mesa Mpulse 600 with an ampeg 8x10, Boss ME-50 pedal, and a Warwick Corvette standard fretless.

Iv been using the setup pretty trouble free since I got it, its run pretty hot, but never had any problems, untill today. I turn around and its turned off with the switch still set to on. Got a nasty burning smell,some smoke, and when I tried to turn it back on the smaller lights (if your not familiar, it has 2 smaller LEDs on both sides of the EQ for the EQ and the compressor) would flash on, and then turn off. There was a small clinking sound as if something was moving around, but thats about the extent of what happened. I was running it pretty loud, but nothing more than I usually have.

It's covered bye a 5 year warrenty, but im still wondering if its toast or not, and if anyone knows a good repair place in Austin, I have a show to play Thursday @ 10, so its either get it repaired ASAP or try and run the pedal direct to the PA...which I don't want to do.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and find a loaner amp. Call Mesa, get a RA (return authorization) number and send it back for repairs. I've had terrible results getting equipment repaired at so called factory authorized repair centers. In my cases they focused on symptoms and not root causes. Just my 2 cents worth........................

3. A huge +1 on this. Mesa is great. If you call them, you will get a call back that day and they will take care of you. Their service is very good in my experience.

4. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    There is a repair center called

Tube Doctor
    4402 S Congress Ave
    Austin, TX 78745

I have a list of all these mesa repair centers i got from the previous owner of my m-pulse. Im sure you'll get it fixed, because it wasnt misused.

5. Nocturn

Nocturn

Mar 9, 2005
    I got one of those two, and I went to both locations for the "tube doctor" but one was a sign company, and the other was not to be found. Tried both numbers also, one disconnected, the other some guy named scott, who didn't answer. So eventually I just took it down to the other one which was a strait music co. I bit the bullet and paid 50 bucks for same day service (or will pay 50 bucks), he calls me back a couple hours later saying basically that he didn't know what the problem was, and that he didn't even have a manual of the thing. He said he was gunna ship it off to mesa, and that I am looking at about a month down time.

So, that sucks, but at least they willt ake care of it instead of some joe shmo. Luckily the opening band let us use their equipment which wasn't to bad actually.

6. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea that stinks. But hey, you got through the night. IMO the month downtime is worth waiting for. Do you have a backup amp you could use?

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    For the price Mesa gets for their bass heads I'd expect a five day turnaround. Maybe it takes a month because the repair department is crammed full of warrantee work. If only Mesa could make gear as reliable as Peavey, they'd really have something. Let's see......for the price of one 500 watt Big Block "750" I could get TWO Carvin B1500's or TWO Kustom Groove 1200's. ;)

8. Nocturn

Nocturn

Mar 9, 2005
    True mesas are pricey, but with the Mpulse 600 comes with a 5 band EQ, built in compressor, 600 watts, active/passive inputs, and two main channels (one for soloing...although I never use it). You also get the 5 year warrenty, and something thats still built in the US of A.

I originally had a Walkabout scout 15" combo amp, which I really liked, but we had to push the gain to much to get the volume we needed, and it ended up sounded bad, so we upgraded to the 600W mpulse, and it solved most of our problems, with giving us some useful tools also. Mesas got the best customer service though I have ever experianced with any company, they called us when we registered the warrenty to see if we had any questions or comments whenever we buy any of their products. (the scout, the mpulse 600, and the 4/12 oversize guitar cab)

I don't have a backup amp, but hopefully we can repair our old solidstate fender 60 watt 1-10 combo amp :( to use for practicing.