Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa or Aggie for a 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Aug 14, 2004.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Ideas on which cab to look into. Amp WILL be a Walkabout. Cab needs to be able to handle anything, including distortion. Thoughts? To be honest, the pics I've seen of a W/B on a Mesa cab look great, but for some reason the Aggies have my eye. Thanks :)

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Both will be great. With mesa stuff...both aggie and mesa cabs sound good. I used to own an M-Pulse600 and it used to run through my aguilar cabs and it sounded phenominal.

Just go with what has the better power rating, cheaper to buy used or availability...etc.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd say ignore power ratings and get what sounds best. Ratings are misleading 87.2% of the time.

Currently there is no Mesa 2x12, so I guess you'll have to buy the Aggie if you want that. Aguilar makes great cabs though, and really seem to like the Mesa heads. You can't go wrong there.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    There's something you can throw in the mesa suggestion box Ben.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Oh, I was going by the July '04 Mesa Pro Net Price List that I nabbed from GC. On page 4 it clearly lists a 2x12 Powerhouse, 600 Watt, 8 ohm $699. That's why I assumed there was a Mesa 2x12.

So far I think the Aggie may be the way to go. :meh:

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    have you ever thought of the eden 2x12

so sweet once it touches the ears.

danman

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I was under the impression that they were a little "too fancy" sounding. They seem to have their own loyal fans.

8. I honestly preferred the Mesa cabs over the Aguilars.

9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've never tried Mesa cabs, but I am currently running an M-Pulse 600 into an Aggy 212 and it sounds wonderful. My Aggy 212 is rated at 600 watts (4 ohms) and can take anything I give it. I previously used a IIIPro and use a GK 800RB as a spare. I prefer a clean deep sound and it does this admirably - I've never really gone for an overdriven sound so I can't comment on that, but for fat, punch or crisp it's the bomb. A great all around cabinet if you're going to use only one (like me).

I also used an Eden 212 for 3 years. In that time I reconed each speaker at least 3 times (work done by Eden). I went so far as to buy a spare Eden 12 so the cab wouldn't be down while one was out. They never blew - the cones just tattered right at the flex. Sounded real good while it worked, but I just couldn't deal with it anymore. BTW - I never overdrove it, used effects or induced a lot of transients. Their paper just sucked and couldn't handle the excursion. :meh: I really hope their material has improved....The last time I had both speakers fixed (again by Eden) I put it into storage and haven't used it since. If anyone is interested in what amounts to a brand new Eden 212 let me know....

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

The only thing that worries me is that it may sound too hi fi or sterile. But that is a great description, thanks :)

EDIT: worried, past tense ;)

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I can tell you that you needn't worry about that with this cabinet. If it gets a little too crisp for you, turn down the tweeter. I bought it without trying it first and I'm not giving it up anytime soon. And at 75 lbs it's very easy to handle.

Good luck in your search.

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    if you can hold out Mesa is releasing a 600 watt 2x12 cab soon..

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Can Mr. Strange confirm/deny? There is one listed in the price list they put out.

clef112- thanks, you've been a great help :)

14. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
  15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I haven't built any yet, but I do believe those are on the way (you can thank me; I had a hand in developing the idea). :D

16. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    EBS has a very good 212 cab

17. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i got rid of my ampeg B2R and 6x10 cab for a pair of Aggie 12s powered by a Mesa Walkabout. Im totally in love with the portablity and the low-mid tones it produces. I have no problem hearing myself over a loud as hell drummer and two blairing guitarists both using Marshalls.

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Idea on time frame?

19. According to the video, winter time

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I just investigated it a little bit today. We haven't even built any, so we're not exactly sure what they are going to be like, but I have determined that it's going to be in the same size box as the 4x10, set in angled on the baffle board. They are also planning on using the neodynium speakers, so it promises to be pretty lightweight. Not sure about the 4x12; perhaps that will be in the 6x10 size cab.

We build everything to order, so you won't see these in your local store for a while. We will be getting all the orders in from the NAMM show, and then they will ship out. I may post a review once I get my hands on one at the factory.