mesa or eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    well i got a little over 2 grand to spend on a new head and speakers. ive narrowed my choices down to mesa boogie and eden after a ton of research. i play mostly rock/hard rock, little blues and a little funk. would a 400+ be good for slap or is it mainly for finger bass? i hear the new m-pulse is pretty versitle. i hear eden is pretty versitle too. im thinkin a 15 and 2 10s cause i like to feel and hear what im playing. i will play out of several diffent setups before making a purchase but i just wanted some opinions. thanx ahead of time.
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Eden and Mesa/Boogie are both make great equipment. The first thing you should consider, as always, is the to try stuff out and see whose sound YOU prefer.

Based on my limited experience, I think the 400+ is a great amp for rock fingerstyle, but today avid slappers traditionally use solid state amps for a cleaner tone.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Lotta ways to go but, given your budget, it'd be hard to go wrong with a Boogie 400+ and Eden D410XLT, IMO. If you want more old-school thump, substitute the Eden D215XLT or the Mesa 215 Diesel. Might have to go used on the cab but I'd recommend springing for the 1299 on the 400+. Eden amps are killer, too, but will likely push your budget out of range. Another killer rig, all Eden, would be the WT800 and D410XLT. You can mono-bridge (get the 8 ohm cab) and run 800 watts into the 410. Mighty strong. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    go all peavey, and get us both new rigs :smile:

but on the more serious note, id get a mesa 215 and 210 with the 400+. my friend uses a mesa 215 and its awesome.
  5. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    I think that Eden seems a bit more versatile than Mesa Boogie, but I like the sound of my 400+ more than anything.
    If you like tubes, Mesa Boogie is a fair choice. But then again it comes down to personal taste.
  6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Try a Mesa Basis M-2000, it's got the tube sound for hard drivin' and the fat FET sound like Eden. Plus, you can mix the two. Awesome! I would go with the Eden cabs though-- better low-end response.