1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Order Time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wishbasssix, Jul 19, 2012.

1. wishbasssix

wishbasssix

Apr 11, 2012
    Okay, so I ordered a 4-ohm 4X10 Powerhouse Cab from my local Mesa dealer three months ago this weekend, and it still hasn't arrived. Is this typical? Anyone else with experience ordering something from Mesa? Whenever I ask the dealer about it, they just give me the "hasn't come in yet" routine.

Thanks for any info.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Was it a custom covering, or just a standard production model?

If custom, no idea. If production, that's excessive and I'd be going over this dudes head and calling Mesa personally.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I custom ordered an amp from Mesa a while back and it took about 10 weeks. I got the same response from my local dealer each time I called. Then I got the Mesa Rep's email address from my dealer and sent him an email. That didn't necessarily speed up the process but it did open up some communication lines to keep me updated on the progress. It ended up taking about 3 months though. You are probably very close to
    taking delivery.

4. 3 months sounds typical from what I've hear from others who ordered stuff. I also have a friend who ordered a custom Road King in all Mahogany and it took 6 months.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I think it depends on where they're at in their production cycle - for example, I think they make their cabs in batches, and aren't going to stop a run of one type to make one cab of another type... I don't remember exactly how long it was from ordering/down payment to receiving my PH215, but it was quite awhile - it could have been 3 months...

- georgestrings

6. elamenopee

elamenopee Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Fraser, MI
    Mesa Boogie considers a 4ohm cabinet or a silver grille a custom product.
    I ordered both and was told by the rep 30-60 days.
    Around the 45 day mark I was told it would be more like 65-70 days.
    That came and went, then was told around 85-90 days.
    I got the call yesterday that it came in. 100 days from the day it was ordered.
    GC gave me a $20 gift card for my troubles. ( I had to play a bunch shows with borrowed cabinets.)

I’ll that being said, I now have a 4ohm PH2x12 exactly the way I wanted it.
    I won’t be able to really test it out completely till this weekend, but so far…
    I’m very happy.
    You might have to wait a bit longer (and it will feel like it’s killing you slowly)
    But in the long haul, it will be worth it.

7. wishbasssix

wishbasssix

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks for the replys. Yeah, this cab is just standard finish/exterior. The only thing different about it is the 4-ohm rating. I might try to get that direct line to Mesa. I'll just have to be patient, as it should be here pretty soon now. Yeah, I'll just be over here in the corner, dieing slowly. Tick tock, tick tock, tick...

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Strangely enough, I had my local Mesa dealer order me a factory new M9 head after my original one that I bought used (early production without the upgrades) died on a gig.

I was adamant that they ordered me a new one from Mesa, not pull from the dozens they had in stock at other stores.

In any case, my new M9 took less than 3 weeks to get to me. Crazy fast. Considering Mesa is in California and I live in Canada (1.5 hours north of Buffalo). I checked the build date and it was indeed built the month I ordered it.

Do they rotate what bass gear they build and I got lucky?

9. wishbasssix

wishbasssix

Apr 11, 2012
    Well, here's a terrible update. The store called me back and told me that Mesa had finally got back in touch with them. Mesa said that they didn't have the components to build a 4-Ohm 4X10 and wouldn't have them until October. So, that means they'll just start actually building it two more months. So, I'm looking at minimum half a year since ordering, and possibly longer.

This is not a happy thing.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    My gut feeling is that the store isn't being honest with you - I highly doubt that Mesa would make someone wait more than 3 months just for an answer that they couldn't fill the order for another 3 months... In short, it sounds like BS to me...

- georgestrings

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Some stores hold back their orders so they can get a quantity price and make a better profit. Years ago, I used to find that 3-6 months was about normal. At one time you could order directly with Mesa. That made life a lot easier and quicker to get hold of their products. I believe that they still have the outlet store mesahollywood.

Be glad that you aren't waiting for a Rickenbacker. I waited for 1 1/2 years for my last instrument.

12. elamenopee

elamenopee Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Fraser, MI
    beans-on-toast is right. This was half the reason my cabinet took so long. Sorry about the bad news.

13. If they consider the 4 ohm a custom option, I wonder if the 4 or 8 ohm big cabs would ship out faster.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I don't know - I don't think it took any longer when I ordered my PH215 last summer, and I wanted it to be 4 ohms - since I planned to use it as a stand alone cab...

- georgestrings