1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa PH412 top right speaker sparks. help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monotheist, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Monotheist

Monotheist

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi guys.

I was playing through my Mesa PH412 the other day. The cab didn't sound punchy as it usually does. I EQed the amp(M9 Carbine) and got a decent sound out of it. Then it started to make a this horrible noise and I could see sparks from the top right driver.

I've never had a speaker blown on me so I don't know. I'm sure that the driver is dead but what could have been the cause? I was playing at low volume and I've never pushed it. Was it a faulty driver or did something else cause that to happen?

Thanks for your help.

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    Have you checked the fuses? Assuming your cabinet has them.

3. Monotheist

Monotheist

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    No I haven't. I don't think it has any.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you sure it was the speaker and not the horn?

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I would pull the handle on that side, and smell for something burnt - after that, I'd pull the grill and check that driver for a burnt voice coil by carefully moving it in and out, feeling and listening for scraping... Anything is possible - but atleast it can be fixed... Just out of curiousity - is the horn up by there, also???

- georgestrings

6. Monotheist

Monotheist

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I haven't pulled the grill yet so I am not sure where it is. I've never had any issues with that cab. It's been a tank up until now.

7. Monotheist

Monotheist

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just looked online and yes, the horn is to the left of the driver.

8. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
    it's probably the fuse for your horn lighting up (they use little light bulbs as fuses)
    maybe you need to turn down the high frequency