Mesa Powerhouse 1000 or Ampeg 8-10..??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Which has more Booty? I have both, but cant get them in one spot to a/b them. What about the focus of the sound? Which would you rather have.???
  2. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    How much did you buy your Powerhouse 1000 for? I am very interested, but i havent seen a price quote anywhere.
  3. Rockbobmel

$120.00 +++++ Fixitups for $300.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

I find that the Powerhouse 1000 has tons more booty, but less focus.

The Mesa definetly made me happy while playing a 5 string through it while thats always been the one thing I really dislike about the Ampeg, the fact that it didnt make me happy when playing a 5.
  5. mesa has definatly got the booty. the sealed ampegs just don't like to go that low.
  6. Rockbobmel

I use my 8-10 on stage with a Mesa 400+ and it rocks pretty heavy. I play a 5 string. My 8-10 is an older rebuilt cab with EH (Eminence) SVT replacement 10s.
  7. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
  8. Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just did a side by side comparison of these two cabs a few months ago in a music store. The amp was a used Mesa 400+ and I played an SR4 through the setups.

I own an SVT810E so I was very interested to compare. The Powerhouse was far deeper and booty shaking at low to medium volumes but tended to have a scooped sound when cranked up.

The SVT cab was more mid centered and didnt have the gut rumbling depth of the Mesa cab but it was so punchy and in your face that I could clearly tell that it would cutr through a band mix with much more ease then the Mesa cab.

I normally play a five string and have my rig set up for a growly mid tone without too much bottom end. i realized I am missing out on deep low end with the 810 but all in all I think the 810 was a better cab in a loud rock situation with distorted guitars in the mix.

Keep on mind the SVT810E was $1050 Canadian brand new.

The Mesa Powerhouse 1000 was $1750 Canadian!!!!

Thats a hell of a lot more money than the Ampeg and a crazy amount of cash to spend on a single cab.