Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Powerhouse 1000 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Nov 13, 2003.

1. So I was checking out one of these cabs in a store recently and noticed there are two jacks on the back of it

one 4 Ohm
    one 8 Ohm

Mesa's site says its a 4 Ohm cab, so I was confused. I understand on tube HEADS why there are different jacks for impedance, but don't understand it on this cab really.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hey Sanctum, what's up. I got to play thru one of those as backline (borrowed) and if I remember correctly the cab is bi-ampable. I think the 4 ohm jack was mono and there were 2 8 ohm jacks for bi-amp mode. Awesome cab!

3. Yea thanks - I was there again today and noticed the "bi-amp" small print that I missed before. That sure is one loud cab.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It's wierd, but if you hook the 4 10s up to an amp, then switch to the 15, I think the 10s go deeper. It seems senseless to me to biamp it. I had other 4-10s/ 1-18s, Etc. that I could have biamped, but I always went back to full range.

5. Yea, I think I'd actually prefer a 6x10 to the 1000.

Or two of the 4x10's. Those little cabs really crank.

6. It occured to me today that I could run both sides of my Eden WT-800 into the 1000 @ 8Ohms. Wouldnt have to biamp either, but would have that option on the fly.

Hmmmmmmm

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If I remember right the WT800 is 400 or 380 x 2 into 4 ohms each. Bridged is 8 ohms only. The cab is 4 ohms full, or 2- 8 ohm separate inputs. It would be better to run the Eden stereo into each input. So you would be running 2 - 4 ohm outputs into 2-8ohm loads. I think that's better than running an 8 ohm output into a 4 ohm cab.

8. yea ... thats what I said ......

Its 400 watts per side at 4 Ohms, or 260 watts per side at 8 Ohms, or 800 watts bridged at 8 Ohms.

If you plug into an 8Ohm load you're not getting a 4 Ohm output.
    By "both sides" I meant both speaker outs on the amp to the two 8 Ohm inputs on the cab.

Not Bridged.

9. Crap I wasted my 1000th post on that!

hehe