Mesa PowerHouse 1000 vs. Bergantino NV610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbird, Dec 31, 2007.

1. jbird

jbird Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm getting a Mesa Titan & was planning on getting their Powerhouse 1000 cab, (now called 1200). Another TB'r has the Titan & choose the Bergantino NV610 instead. Not only is it less $, and 30lbs lighter but he says he liked the sound better too.
    Is there anyone else out there that may have owned or tried both of these cabs & can give me some opinions?

2. I'm keepin an eye on this one..

3. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
  4. jbird

jbird Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Southern California
    Ya, I saw that yesterday & replied, still haven't heard back. I live in an hour away from that guy!
    It's quite possible it's nabbed already cuz the ad is a week or so old I think.
    Thanks

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Similar product vs. similar product, I have difficulty imagining anything that could beat Bergantino at anything if the "heavier, more $$$" negative was on the side of the competition.

The item in question would have to deliver EXACTLY what you wanted 100% in which case, there's no reason to be looking.

IMHO YMMV

6. May I revive this thread???

I have easy access to a powerhouse cab, but I am wondering if I ought to look into having a berg NV610 or NV412 shipped out here to Saskatoon. By the end it would probably be similar in price, but how is the tone effected? Can anyone answer this, in creative descriptive words used to describe variances in sound? Perhaps Tom has run the powerhouse through the gauntlet as well? Any reviews welcome.

Thank you.

7. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I prefer MESA Powerhouse cabinets.
    I'm running the 2X10 with a 1x12 and it's amazing.
    I'd ask MESA for the 6X10.

IMHO :cool:

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Haven't played the Powerhouse but I have used several other Mesa cabs and they all impressed me. Having said that I own a Berg NV 610 and an NV215 and my preference is slightly towards the Bergs. They are certainly easier to schlep and for me anyway their tone is more "natural" (for want of a better word) and sits better in an onstage mix.

9. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    To each his own... And that's why we have TalkBass.com so people can offer opinions... Otherwise, we'd all own the same gear...
    :cool:

10. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I DON'T like many, or any, Mesa cabs, but the powerhouse 1000 is insanely good - a total fluke, I'm sure. One of the best bass cabs ever made, period. Also, one of the heaviest, period. But it sounds INSANELY good. Most of their cabinets, the ones I have played, I completely hate. Honky, nasty, naselly things, usually with really cheesy tweeters. This Powerhouse is different. Totally different. There's never been a bass product like this.

I sure don't agree with that.

These are TOTALLY different cabs. The Berg I have very little experience with, having only tried it once in a store, but its a GREAT cab, but more in the 8x10 sealed box vein. Limited lows, punchy as hell, limited highs. Very old school, sweet, warm, deep, but punchier and better than anything Ampeg's ever done. And smaller and lighter.

The Mesa is totally different, and is actually a very hi-fi sounding cab, with extremely deep low frequency extension, tons of mid-punch from the 4x10's, and crispy bright top end as well thanks to an extended range tweeter. It's close to 200 lbs, and feels every bit of that. Brutally heavy, and an extremely awkward size. Not a one man job at all unless you're fond of back injuries. Macho men will do it for a month or two, then they'll be sorry.

I have never heard either of these cabs in a mix, but I would imagine the Berg would sit well, just like an old Ampeg does, whereas the Mesa, well...be careful. It would likely COMPLETELY overwhelm everything, including the PA system, inundating the entire band/stage/hall/club/rehearsal space in an incredible wall of the best bass sound you have ever heard. Soundmen will hate them, as will the rest of the band, and pretty much everyone will despise you for bringing one to the gig (I'm wanting one more and more now just thinking about that). You'll get fired from most gigs. Club owners will NEVER want you back. For sheer brute force loud-as-hell terror, the Mesa is the thermo-nuclear warhead of bass cabs. You'll likely nuke yourself right out of all your gigs with it.

Cheers,
    Cameron

11. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    Glad you revived it.

I played the newer powerhouse 1000 in Gcenter about 2 years ago

I understand there is an older model Powerhouse 1000 as well, but it does not have what the newer 1000 delivers. Then there is a new Powerhouse 1200 which soundwise, I know nothing about.

Of ALL the cabs I played that day in GCenter, the 1000 blew my mind. It was powered by the pulse 600 Mesa boogie

I play much softer gigs , ( jazz, blues, funk, pop no heavy rock or metal) where this beast is way over kill, yet, yet, I feel I need to hear the depth of sound that this thing produces.

I tested an svt classic head and 8x10 yesterday,,, i liked it but it seemed to lack low end for my ear. it must be those 10's?!!! I am old school and like a single 15. but a single 15 is not nearly... how shall i describe it?... big enough.

The large cab of mesa powerhouse 1000/1200, w the 4 10's AND the 15, all together in one cab, seems to be the ticket.
    unfortunately it is not in the GC to recheck.

I play a 63 Jazz. Great passive bass but it lacks versatility of tone- so an amp with parametric, or other tone shaping is in my mind- SVT is good, but limited tone shaping- given my old school bass. I cannot change pickup bc of value of instrument... and prefer to do it thru the amp end.
    I hope for great punch, or smoothness, or a more modern tone- all from the amp end.

I would appreciate comments from the knowledgable players here
    comparing sound wise svt head, svt 8x10's, mesa heads ( 400, pulse 600, ) powerhouse... and one other company that has a lot of punch, but is not easily found, Eden stuff.

I am getting in the mood for a purchase. i will travel to LA to check out Mesa Boogie
    and any other bass shoppe's that are recommended in LA area.

One last thing can any of you lower volume players relate to my desire to have a huge cab like powerhouse 1000 or 1200 but for relatively quiet gigs???

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I recently posted that I took my Berg NV215 and SVT-VR to a quiet jazz gig - it was a wonderful experience, that's what we have volume controls for.

13. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks, because I was wondering what that vol knob was for. 0_0

I am not sure what the name of the phenomenon is, but I thought it was true that amps/ speaker systems "needed" to be at a minimal volume point in order to achieve their unique mojo.
    In the past i have had the experience of saying to myself
    "this is too much amp for this gig... It is losing its balls at this low a level"

Now please juxtapose that observation with this contrasting one i tried to make earlier- that "there is something about dragging a big rig to a gig that could be covered with a single 12", there is a bigness not a greater volume necessarily.

I am trying to figure this out. I hear these things in my ear, but explaining them is not easy for me.

14. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    With the current spate of really high quality 'small' cabs, of which I own (arguably) the best there is, I do miss that 'bigness' factor, with a lot of speakers moving a little bit, rather than a little bit of speaker moving a lot.

Been thinking about the NV215 and a nice big warm rich tube amp...Orange 200, Peavey 300, Reeves,>>>>{{{[[[AMPIG!!!]]]}}}<<<< (can't believe I said that)...

Cheers,
    Cameron

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I think the NV215 is a fabulous speaker and still find it difficult to believethey dropped it, although when I asked Jim said it was because they had introduced the NV412 and did not want their dealers to have to stock too many models. The 215 is my first choice cab, although it is nice to have the NV610 sitting there for boomy rooms.
    I do have a small rig and took the 215 and SVT purely for pleasure - it did raise a few eyebrows at first but as I said, use the volume control and the tone was quite different to a single speaker. Hard to explain, it just filled the room in a way a single speaker cannot without being in the least bit dominant ar overpowering of the others.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    The PH1000 probably isnt the best cab in that line, although I've played through one and liked it. I'd choose any other PH cab (I own 4x10 x2 and one 1x12... if I had to do it over maybe neo 2x12s for the weigh reduction) or the Berg . What style are you playing? If br00tal is your thing I'd go PH. If you play jazz-hop or vintage styles Berg would be better.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021