1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse 1000.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 73jbass, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Anybody here have any experience with these cabs? I found one locally for what I think is a pretty good price,950.00 in mint condition. Thought it might make a nice addition to the arsenal.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Used I think you can do better. I've seen a couple of them locally for much less. It's deffinately not my favorite big cab. I played one at a rehearsal space a number of times (with a band) and didn't sound as full or have as much punch as the SWR Goliath Sr I was using at the time. I also didn't like it as much as the SVT410HLF I have now. It's not as loud or warm. No boom to it. I'd dare to even say "thin". Of course... if you like the sound, talk him/her down on the price.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Personally, I think they are great for metal music (that's the only place where I have personally seen them used). They sound a lot like Ampeg cabs but with more punch to them. They are LOUD and put out a lot of lows. I would say that they are sharp sounding and really accentuate dynamics well.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For metal or punk, get it. If you can haggle down the price another $100 that would be a decent bargain.

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, used prices should be around $800 or so.

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's weird, I had pretty much the opposite experience. I found the 410HLF to be darker, muddier, and not nearly as loud as the PH1000. Matter of fact the 410HLF wasn't loud enough to be a stand alone cab in the rehearsal studio.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I was wondering when you'd chime in :p

8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I qualified my opinion.. I suggested that if he liked it, he should try for a better price. I'm glad you like yours, and am still much happier with my Ampeg. muddy vs warm/punch vs boom. It's all reaaaally subjective. As far as loud, I can't imagine the SVT not being loud enough stand alone. If I stand right in front of it, it's hard to hear (short cab) but ruffles my pant legs and knocks over my guitarists!

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Meh, they are OK cabs. They are good quality, but overpriced (at least new). I would take one over an Ampeg 810 or 610 (or 410) any day, much louder and punchier, also seemed a bit warmer. But I got myself a Bergantino 610 ($1100 new about) and have not looked back at the used Mesa that I tried (with some other cabs, such as Aggies and Schroeders and Bergies) when I got my 610. I suggest you get it if you like it, but try to get the price down some.