1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 15" cab, any good ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by recreate.me, Nov 16, 2010.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Hey,

So I have come across one of these on the local listing, and it seems like its a good product, but i can't seem to find anything about the speaker used...

Is there any info on what its specs are?

Also does anyone have any experience with these cabs, how do they sound? (i haven't heard one)
    Anything i should know about, such as cheap parts, or odd sounds...

LUCE likes this.
  2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    There is a sort of cult following around here for Mesa and especially the Powerhouse cabs. I can't say I've seen much bad said about them and I'm hoping to get to try one someday.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I never tire of showing my pair of PH115's off. They are the best sounding 115 cabs I have ever owned and I've been through a few. To my ears, they are very well balanced without the bark or honk of some designs. The horn is effective but not shrill and harsh. They have lots of sweet mids but are still articulate. I can slap and pop notes with these cabs and it sounds great. of course they don't have the same snap as a typical 410 but I don't miss anything when I use these. They handle lots of power, are very efficient (read loud) and are built like tanks. Everything about these cabs is quality and they tend to wear well. They are deep and heavy to carry but have excellent wheels that are removable.

There are several versions but they are all good. Mine are both the 400 watt models and I don't have any issues at all. The newest versions are rated at 600 watts. I would snap it up in a heartbeat!

Walkabout015.

4. i hear they're good,but two are better

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Very good cab.
    Stout and over-built. It's very heavy however.
    Has a very musical cross-over for the HF
    (thou not sure when they begin to put that into their cab)

6. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I see, what would be a good price to pay for the silver 400watt version? (sorry if i can't ask that, im not supporting, but im also not selling the item so i wasn't sure)

Just dont want to get taken...

7. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    A friend of mine had a powerhouse 115. Let's just say before I plugged into that cab, I thought my old speakers sounded good. Now those old speakers are being replaced with mesa cabs. If it's a good deal, I'd go with it.

8. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    The 115 goes for 700 new. It's up to you to decide what the cab is worth to you.

9. Aroarah bassist Chelsea Baker plays the dual Powerhouse 15.

As noted above, the cab is over built and heavy. Hers is a built-in ATA case, so it is indeed massive.
    It is a 2x15 no-tweeter rig. Neanderthal. A loud pounder.

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

And I don't tire of seeing it.
    AWESOME setup..and Its not just your ears...these are awesome.

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Agreed. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Outstanding 15" speaker cabs! Perhaps the most musical you'll ever hear. The only downside is they're a little heavy-ish, but that is counterbalanced by the brilliant caster system they have. If the asking price is within your range for any nice bass cabinet, it's almost certainly worth it, as long as the original driver is intact.

13. These cabs are straight up BADASS, you can throw all kinds of wattage at them and they pump out deeper lows than practically anything out there. Sure they're not light, but show me a lightweight, shallow cab that sounds like a PH - ha!

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 PH cabs are pure monsters- and so long as you define "good" as sounding great, punchy and loud, and built to take it all, then yes- good cabs.

15. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    To the OP, I think $300-$400 would be fair to pay for one in good condition. If you can get it for any lower, go for it. Make sure they include the Mesa soft cover and wheels if they have them. I love how Mesa cabs all ship with covers and the bigger cabs including the 115 all come with really good removable casters.

16. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Well i pulled the trigger and picked up a Mesa PH 15 about an hour ago. I managed a deal of 275$ CDN. No soft cover, but it had the caster on. The speaker is in good condition, the horn works as it should with no extra noise.
    I have been playing with it for as long as i can right now and I am A/B ing it against my Avatar 2x12 (i have to sell one of them). I have noticed something though, the Mesa seems to have more highs, then the Avatar for sure, the lows are there and growly, but it seems to have a higher almost reveresque sound included even with the horn off.

Not sure if its the sound for me yet, i will tweak it all day and figure that out.

if you guys can let me know what settings you prefer on the back panel that would be great, if you turn the horn off and switch the crossover to 3K do you end up losing more high end, or does it not matter since the horn is off?

bassman74 likes this.
  17. yes. indestructable...the extra weight is worth the results.

18. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    those are Diesel cabs though, yeah? killer stuff, but a little different from the Powerhouse, I believe.

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I leave the horn setting at 5k and the dial about halfway up but have played around a bit and find that the cab sounds good to my ears no matter hoe the horn is set. just tweak it to taste! You got a great deal for sure. Compared to a 212 cab a 115 will not sound the same and it can be hard to know which sound you prefer until trying it out n a band setting. I find these Mesa 115 cabs really shine when turned up loud!

20. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    I used to have a 1-15 roadready cab rated at 400 watts at 8 ohms. GREAT sounding cab. Was there any difference between the road ready and the powerhouse series?