1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 Speaker(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FrizzleFry, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Hey everyone,
    I picked up these sexy red PH112 a few weeks ago to start replacing my old,heavy gear and find something to compliment my new Mesa D800. Playing them at home sounded great, in a band setting I found I was farting out(probably my fault).

Took off the grills to check out the state of the speakers and found what look like two different drivers in them. They sound pretty similar but was mostly wondering if anyone knows which would have been stock or if they're just different builds?

The back of the drivers both look the same.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Interesting, same corner port/brace as a BFM Simplexx.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Interesting - I have 2 PH112 cabs and for me they do not fart. I've even used them for outside shows without FOH support.

chaosMK and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    just the same as my HK sub made in Germany, very interesting, indeed that's very interesting.

5. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    2x112 should be loud enough to compete well with a kick drum of the drum kit.
    If you are after more of volume then FOH sound is your friend.

6. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    btw the OP asked a question about driver deviations. He did not ask a question about similarities with BFM Simplexx design.
    The OP also did not ask a question about anything else.

7. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I saw those for sale on Kijiji. I think the seller said he had them custom built so I would assume they would be identical. The driver looks like an Eminence Deltalite. The Mesa specs state that they use a custom Eminence driver so it might be the original driver. Look at some pics of an Eminence Deltalite 2512.

8. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    @FrizzleFry
    the dust cap of the speaker that is shown in pic #1 looks very strange to me. I have never seen a speaker before that comes with such a strange grid mounted on the edge of the dust cap.

9. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Pic #3 that shows the back of the speaker is nothing but Eminence stock picture.
    How shall we figure what's really inside of the cab?

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The vented dust cap is not correct, the vented motor uses a solid dust cap. There is also significant cone damage.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's also a picture of a 15" :)

12. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    @agedhorse! Welcome back!
    @ThisBass relax, bro! This is TB, and tangents happen.

13. @ThisBass
    @agedhorse

Thanks for the replies! How do you mean by significant cone damage? Is it enough to warrant some replacement drivers? And if so, do you have any you could reccomend?

Also sorry I forgot to take pictures while I had them out, I'll snap some pics tomorrow of the rear of the speakers for a better idea

14. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The speaker was most likely re-coned at some point.

74hc likes this.
  15. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    The 12 "neo speakers in my Scout cabinets have vented cones like that. The 12" PH cabinets have ceramic speakers and don't have vented cones.

16. moreblues

moreblues Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2013
    hudson valley,n.y.
    Same here, my 12" walkabout scout cabinets had the speaker in photo #1 on the left with the vented dust cap.

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The vented dust cap would have been used on a non-vented motor, not the Eminence Series 2 Neo motor as the OP stated.

There was a Series 1 Neo motor that was not vented, but that motor looks very different than the Series 2 that's pictured.

A call to customer service will get information on what replacement drivers may be available for the cabinet.

18. Not a particularly unusual or esoteric design, there's lots of cabinets that use them, albeit less than slot or round ports. One of the new Genzler cabs uses a pair of corner ports and Goldwood sells plastic corner port tubes.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I love the PH112 and run mine with a 6550-loaded Bass 400. I have never had farting issues with the cab, although I am pretty gentle/reasonable with it. I've never pushed mine to farting and I've played at decent volumes (w/drummer and Dual Rec into 2x12, which is not quiet). If I need to get serious I use my PH410. Most likely the farting is due to issues with the speaker. I'll take a look at mine when I get home and see if it has the vented cap or not.

20. First three pictures are of the speaker with the vented cone.

Attached Files: