1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 -- how is it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I'm considering getting a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 cab. I've already tried one of them and it sounded OK to me but I'm not that great at auditioning cabs. I know it's not like a typical 1x15 cab, it's a small enclosure that appears to be a sealed design. How do these cabs perform?

2. I have a power house 15 under a power house 4 x 10 driven by a m pulse 600 .
    I am having problems with the 15 right now .Actually its the second time I have had trouble with it . The first time after about an hour worth of play it died ! Mesa covered it though (new speaker in about a week or so ) Now the replaced speaker rattles likes somthing s loose inside of it .I tilt the cabinet back and it goes away .It i still under warranty so Im gonna call mesa this week . I
    have heard nothing but good things about their customer support though. I just hope I have gotten a couple of lemons .I like the cabinet alot but this is starting to bring me down .
    Also it is a ported cab . They come in two versions one with a horn and another without.They are built like tanks (tank tough not heavy )And the removable casters are great I would like to put them on all my gear .

3. I had one for about a month, and loved it. I'm thinking of buying it, but have to try some other cabs first. So far it's ahead of the pack. I had a long discussion with a couple other members about this cab. Look it up! "Volume by cab efficiency" or something like that? I loved the tone above the rest, it was tight for a 15 and plenty loud too. Also if anybody knows it's db rating please post it. Apperently Mesa doesn't let people know because each cab is hand tuned, so I guess this makes a difference? It sounds absolutly deadly with a 2x10 on top!

4. my pwr house 15 is back in true form . Ironic as it may be the thing rattling inside of my speaker was a small metal screen used to keep stuff from getting inside my speaker ! I talked to customer support (they were way cool btw )I was told to remove the speaker to see if anything was actually in it and what do you know . I removed the guilty party and now Im back in business .
    After reading my first post it may sound like I dont like this cab . I do .I was just stressed out . It sounds great to my ears .Especially for a single 15 (I have the model with no horn )
    And after all this all I can sayis trust your own ears .One mans junk is another mans dream tone !:p

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    IMO, the Powerhouse cabs are not as good as the older Diesel or RoadReady cabs. I haven't played any RR cab, but supposedly they sound better than the Diesels, which I think sound better than the PH's (I have two Diesels).

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Road Ready cabs are very good, especially loaded with EV's. I have an 18, 2x15 and 4x10. Heavy as sin but built like tanks and very strong, especially with a 400+ cranked into 'em.