1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 210 v Eden 210XST v 210XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thekorean, May 7, 2010.

1. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have the option to buy any of these cabs. I will be combining it with a Peavey 410TVX and using it single. My sound is using more of the higher mids/highs. I use no effects at the moment. The mesa 210 is an older one at 300w. The XLT is 350, XST is 275, and powerhouse is 280. The head I use is a ampeg 3 pro.

Thanks

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Mixing various cabs is always a gamble. Its impossible to know if any of the cabs listed will work with your peavey cab. What are the ohms ratings for each of these cabs including your Peavey as this will be an important factor.

Until very recently I owned both the Eden 210XST and 210XLT cabs. I ran them as a stack and they actually worked wonderfully together. They are very very different sounding cabs and to be honest, I didn't really love either on on its own. The XLT cab is classic Eden, midrangey as hell with lots of snarl and limited low end.

The XST cab is a tight, focussed sub woofer in that it puts out an insane amount of low end, has a nice horn but is shy in the mids. Together, they balance out well with each other and provide a nice full tone.

I have since gotten intol Mesa cabs in a big way and own a bunch. The 210 Mesa cab will be a great sounding cab but again very different to the Edens. You may want to consider selling your peavey cab and buying both the Edens assuming they are the same ohms rating. Makes for a killer modular 410 rig!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    XST.

4. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    the mesa is 8 ohms and the others ill have to ask. What would be the mesa sound exactly? Also selling the 410 would be impractical for me as they are selling them used for like 100 so I really wouldnt get squat.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I cant provide an opinion on the Mesa 210 as I have not played through one. |I own a Mesa 412 and a pair of 115 cabs and they are all very good cabs. I used Eden 10 inch loaded cabs for many years and really liked them but have recently discovered the joys of Mesa gear. I believe the Mesa 210 is only rated at 300 watts so it would not handle the same power as the XST cab. If you like your peavy cab and are planning on keeping it, I would highly recommend finding another identical one. Two of the exact same cabinet is the most surefire way to obtain a much bigger sound that will be balanced with no strange comb filtering issues.

But you are going to buy one of the cabs you mentioned to add to your Peavey, then Munji is right, buy the XST cab and put it under the Peavey. It will blow your mind how much tight punchy low end it puts out.

6. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    XST ;)

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've owned all 3 at one point. I'd go with either the XST or the Mesa, in a perfect world do what crabby says, sell the peavey and get the xlt and xst. I ran those two cabs for years and made for one heck of a rig.
    It all really comes down to what your looking for in a cab. I think the XST is one of the best sounding 2x10 on the market. It is very efficient and has a great flat response. The Mesa on the other hand is just balls out awesome.