1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 2x12 vs. Orange SP212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zwkoch, Feb 26, 2013.

1. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Good evening. My current rig is a Mesa Carbine M6 to a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 and/or Mesa Powerhouse 2x12. I use the 2x12 for smaller venues like my church. Due to my time in the military, my back is destroyed, and the weight of my rig is a major consideration. I noticed that the weight difference between my Mesa 2x12 and the Orange 2x12 is about 40lbs. My question is, how similar are the sounds between these two cabs? I love my Mesa, and will keep my 4x10, but hauling the 2x12 in and out of church every week is difficult. If the tone is even close, I will switch to the Orange cab. I play mostly rock, but love to have a warm punchy sound when necessary. None of the guitar shops around me carry Orange bass gear, and thus I am reliant on the expertise of this board. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. From what I've read on TB the isobaric design is all about volume from cabinet size. But apparently the resulting cab is barely any smaller than a regular ported one would be, so it's a bit of mystery to me as to why they exist all.

I haven't played either cab but I would expect any Mesa to give any same driver count isobaric a proper hiding.

How about a pair of neo 12's?

3. Mesa Vs iso? Mesa all the way.

4. He want's something that sounds like his Mesa with the weight of the Orange.

5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Correct. LOVE my Mesa, was hoping to find something lighter without sacrificing tone. I can always ask for help carrying gear I guess.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    2 12s in isobaric is really only validly compared to a 1x12, since in isobaric one speaker is covering the function of the back of a single speaker in a normal cab.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd consider the PH 112. It's super loud for its size and reasonably light for how awesome it sounds.

I've never heard anything good about Orange bass cabs actually.

8. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    The Orange TB500 head will deliver it's full 500w to any 8ohm cab (most are rated around 3-400w). Most amps require 2 cabs @8ohms or a single 4ohm cab to utilize the total power of the amp.

I use this amp with a 400w@8ohm 210 cab that weighs 53lbs and it sounds big.

That amp will let you have a smaller rig without sacrificing power. If you take this amp and pair it with the Orange SP212 cab (600w@8ohm) you'll get the most powerful small rig out there. They were designed to be paired together for this purpose.

I have one of these cabs on order because my back is shagged up too and it's even smaller than my 210 cab.

9. Why not just get a 112 that you like the sound of? It will be even lighter than the sp212 and have similar volume potential.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I highly doubt the part in color - for example, pair up a Streamliner 900 or ShuttleMax 9.2 with one of Genz's neo loaded 212s, and I'm pretty sure it would smoke that Orange rig...

- georgestrings

11. +1

Further more you could pair that Orange TB500 with a better designed cab and smoke that orange rig.

The iso design is a gimmick in this day and age.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed...

- georgestrings

13. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    That Streamliner 900 looks pretty sick and the Shuttlemax 9.2 does too, but they're 500w @8ohm. That's the same as the TB500.

At 4ohm, of course they'll both smoke the TB500. But then you need the bigger 4ohm cab. And we are talking about keeping the size down. They are both a few pounds lighter than TB500 though.

I would say that either of these amps would go really nice with the SP212.

14. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Those Genz 212 cabs look nice too. Looks to be about $200 and 20lbs more than the SP212. Definitely options out there.
    The Orange set up still looks to be the smallest most powerful one out there only if it is by about 15lbs or so. Can't really go wrong with either one really.

15. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    See my pic..MARKBASS- VERY light..great power with warmth and super articulation- picking up a 2x12 club 600 cabinet today. The 2x10 combo on a TRV15 is HUGE- I play all venues with it and can just use the combo for small show with sound support and it works for light practices. I was a BOOGIE guy for years and years. BB750 on a PH1000-HEAVY stuff..I never realized how dry of a sound I was getting till I A-B'd them together. I have never looked back and was SO glad I took the chance on MarkBass on the advice of a close friend-I now have the LMT800-TRV15"..4x10HR and the 2x10 combo amp-and the 2x12coming today, Im ready for ANYTHING.

16. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    There's a 600w@8ohm 112 cab out there?

17. That thermal power rating has nothing to do with how loud a cab will get, or how much power it can actually take before it farts out.

But yes there are smaller cabs that can take a lot of power, an small cabs that will get louder than the SP212 for less weight.

18. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i believe the iso cabs are small but carry 2 drivers to no REALadvantage over a single driver.there is another thread about an orange combo where some of the speaker gurus explain the pro,s and cons. i have a mesa 1x15 ( soon to buy another)and dont have the strongest back but i bought a trolly and have had no problems moving my stuff about.
    ps i personaly love my mesa cab and am willing to lug it about as a 58 year old rocker.
    good luck.

19. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Man I'm pretty sure you're confused. Seriously. Who makes these cabs you speak of?

In any case zwkoch, probably you're best bet is to take your amp into a music store and start testing the smaller cabs and find one that meets the right weight/volume/tone ratios that suit you best. Just looking at the specs on the Mesa line of cabs and they're all really heavy. Just for an example I'm currently using a Warwick pro 210 that weighs 53lbs and the Mesa Powerhouse 210 is 69lbs (big heavy S.O.B.s). In any case there's lighter options out there that sound good. And the SP212 is 44lbs which is impressive for what it can handle.

20. Those specs dont mean much in the real world.

I have played a 23 pound 112 (bassic12) that I would put up against a 44 pound SP212 any day. If one was willing to gain a bit more weight and go up to 33 pounds (F112) they could have a cab that would SMOKE the iso in low end, volume, power handling, and still be lighter.