Mesa Powerhouse 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geggy spoiger, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Hi all!! :) :)

1st post and everything, so go easy :bag:

I just ordered one of the new series Powerhouse cabs, a 2x15 in super shiny silver...yay!!
    But as I am located far from the store, I ordered it based on Mesa's brilliant rep and the tone I already get from my 400+ head. So... I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this cab, and can give me the low down, good and bad. I've come to the conclusion from many posts that the older, EV loaded ones where better sounding (to most), and they seem to be described as what I would want to sound like, but theres not many around down here... :bawl: Also, could anyone (Benj Strange)...hehe, explain the new crossover system to me pleeeease?? Thanks heaps guys!! :) :help:
  2. Welcome to TalkBass and Congrats on the cab. I ordered a silver Mesa Boogie PH 4x10" a couple days ago, will be followed by a 1x15" in near future hopefully. I've never played the 2x15 but heard many good things about them. should be sweet with the 400+.
  3. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    man, don't sweat it :cool:

i went through the same thing...i had a 400+ that wasn't going anywhere, but i was unhappy with my cabs.

after seeking advice here, the mesa cabs seemed to be the top choice to go with mesa heads. the take was, the older sounded somewhat better but much heavier.

i was also looking to downsize to something more manageable than the 410 i was using most of the time.

i traded an eden 410xlt for a powerhouse 115. i sold a swr triad and bought a powerhouse 210. the powerhouses are a VAST improvement over what i had with the 400+ - the eden was mushy, the swr sterile. i have never regreted it.

my band went nuts over the new cabs - clear punchy etc. i wasn't expecting that at all. even more so after i got my lakland. they told me to sell my p and j.....i ain't doing THAT though :D
  4. I appreciate the responses so far guys, keep em coming!!

Thankyou for the kind welcome also Socal.

810wmb, do you ever use the 15 alone with the 400+? And if so, how do you rate it as a standalone cab? Does it cover enough frequencies to considered anything close to a full range cab? Don't ever get rid of a P!!! People should be charged for such felony! Glad you wouldnt hear of it though!! :bassist: :bassist:

Thanks again,

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Congrats on one of the best cabs on the market!!! I used to own a Powerhouse 1x15 cab, and even way before that, an older Diesel EV-loaded 2x15. The newer cabs definitely have more punch, IMO. The drivers move more, letting the cab move more air and project even better than the older styles. I loved the cab, but when it comes to weight and I think looks, the Powerhouse wins out, definitely. Put 'em side by side, pick them each up about 5 times, and you'll probably go PWH models. Just me, though... :)
  6. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i've only gigged once with the 15 alone once - no problems at all

it is a deep sounding cab - of course, it has an adjustable tweeter if you need more highs.

you'll be fine ;)

after you get it, post us and let us know what you think
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Congrats on your new cab, man! Always good to hear feedback from the players out there. Welcome to the Boogie family.

The older style cabs are not necessarily better than the new ones; just different. The older cabs are characterised by having less bass, but tighter, and more midrange content. They tend to be much more "rock" than the new cabs. The new ones are lighter, have more bottom end (though looser), with a slightly scooped midrange and smoother highs. Some people prefer the new ones, some prefer the old ones; everybody's ears are different, so we make alot of cabs to cover them. Either way, they both can be used as a standalone easy; in fact, if I am taking just a single cab out to a gig, it's my 1x15. My current rig is a 1x15 on top of a 1x18 - I use my 15" for all my highs! :D

The new electronics in the cab are (in my humble opinion, since I didn't design them) pure genius. The crossover is selectable between 3k, 4k, and 5k; so you can tune your cab to the way you like it to sound. It allows you to determine which frequencies go to the horn and which go to the woofers - this makes a big difference in tone, trust me. There is the standard horn attenuator and horn protect circuit in there as well.
  8. Just another thankyou to all who have posted to help me, so...thanks!

I've been told that it is the 1st of the new series 2x15 in Australia, so thats something really cool to know :smug:

All these great reviews have put my mind at ease, so I can't wait for it to arrive, should be in 1-2 weeks. I'll be sure to post back on how it turns out, K bye! :p
  9. Greetings friends,

Well the cab turned up yesterday!!! I am totally stoked! This thing is PHat :bassist: :bassist: like melt your letterboxes and throw around spring rolls phat!!!... :confused: :scowl:
    I've played with it all day today and to my suprise i've found myself with the horn off. These 15's have enough highs to keep me content :) The silver finish is funky as and the new handles and kick-back wheels are very handy, and the rear skid rails will be a godsend when i'm loading in/out of the transport. Thumbs up to Mesa in every aspect, everything is top notch! This beast is heavy, but not as much as i was expecting, but with the size of the box and the weight of the thing, it was not an easy task to get it up my front stairs, also no thanks to the delivery chump who was too busy to take 2 mins to help me take it up with his trolley :spit: Didn't come with the slip cover as i was expecting, seems Mesa is having a mass shortage of them...oh well, at least i have a mad cab. Just thought i'd share... thanks!! Byes :bassist:
  10. congrats man. how is that silver covering? My only worry with it is that its not going to be as durable. You're lucky, my cabs ETA is end of september
  11. Do you have any pics! I would love to see it.
  12. Reasonbass, sorry, no pics, not a digi camera to be had...but i'll work on borrowing one, just for you!

Socalpyro, the silver bronco vinyl, from what i can tell is very durable, or at least as durable as vinyl can be :p I've never seen any black 'rhino' powerhouse cabs so i can't give a comparison there, sorry, but it looks and feels as if it'll hold up...lets hope ay. But it is a truly beautiful finish, im so glad i got it(i didnt ask for it, its all the store had...) Hope you like your cab when it arrives!
  13. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have the powerhouse 1x15 and the 2x10 and couldn’t be happier. I have used many different cabs over the years and this is the best setup I’ve ever had. Easy to move and sounds great. I use it with an Ampeg svt 4.
  14. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    hey hey hey!

glad you like it! thanks for posting after getting it.

like the post above, i love my 210 and 115 with the 400+.