1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 4x10”. Good match for a Walkabout head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heavy Blue, May 21, 2020.

1. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    View attachment 3838167 Just surfing around today and ran into this deal within my area.

It’s used but the price is actually doable for me. I’m going on to check it out either later today or early tomorrow. I just called them for details and the pic is a stock photo. The cab in question is a former rental and shows it to a certain degree.

I’m not too anal about those things so barring it looking like something out the choadhammer thread it should be ok. They’re also going to hold it for me till tomorrow and I still can return it within 30 days if for some reason it doesn’t work out.:D

I would imagine that it would be a good match for the WA head. Does anyone here have or have had this setup? I know it would only be 1/2’ish power going into 8 ohms but that just allows future opportunity for growth (like a WD-800:smug:). Will it still sound good with only about 150w going into it? Probably.

I was looking around for a 210 but this is within $100 of a new Ampeg 210 so other than the increased schlep I see no downside to this. They are quite heavy though aren’t they? Oh well, that’s why it has casters.

2. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    They’re heavy but by all accounts they’re great cabs. They’re midrangy and “rock” voiced, so if that’s your tonal goal, great! Obviously you’ll have twice as much volume as a 2x10, so if you were realistic about what you expected from a 4ohm 210, you shouldn’t be disappointed by the 8ohm 410, at least volume-wise.
    That’s a lot of cab for that money, so as long as you’re okay with being reminded just how much cabinet it is every time you move it, go for it! Looks like a deal to me

Heavy Blue likes this.
  3. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Yep, volume isn’t an issue at all for most of my current needs. I’m currently bandless and just playing at home, in my yard, or very occasionally jamming with friends.

The cab would be most useful when jamming with the buds as they are quite loud with a heavy hitting drummer & a loud lead guitarist and at times the WA’s stock 1x12” Scout cabinet was barely cutting it for volume.

I also thought it would be good opportunity to try out a premium cab using 10” speakers as I haven’t done this yet on my tone journey and I started slapping about 18 months ago. I also have the SWR head so I could run it through this as well.

Will this cab be ok for the Motown/R&B/Disco/Funky/Bluesy stuff that I also like to do?

Gotta say. I’m getting pretty excited.:D:bassist:

Now if only that Titan that was on for $700 a couple of weeks ago was still around...:drool:

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I know it sounds like hell on wheels (in the best possible way) with the PH610 and 212 (and pretty much any other cab I've played or heard it through), so the 410 will surely please.

Al Kraft and Heavy Blue like this.
  5. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Then I go do a little sniffing around within the province and... 9B93AB4D-4D26-4F43-99FB-72F32CB5283A.png 3E11630D-F6D7-40C4-94AF-248D30AF9946.png 7C5BB3FB-8561-486A-86E0-B63E33CAF0BD.png 40419430-0A22-411E-B173-1488C305BAD3.png That Goliath is pretty interesting too...and to think this started with a search for an affordable 2x10 or two.:laugh:

lomo likes this.
  6. Just a quick correction:

Doubling of your speakers provides +3db. To be twice as loud, you need an increase of +10db.

Gearhead17, Heavy Blue and Timmah like this.
  7. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Right you are, thanks for clarifying. The point I was driving at was that doubling your speaker area (vs a 2x10) will more than make up for wattage losses because of the 8ohm cabinet, but I did not word it correctly

Bass_Pounder and Heavy Blue like this.
  8. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Thanks for your input guys but I have a question.

Is the Mesa good with the low B?

I feel like this is a bit of a dumb question and it likely is but I learned long ago not to ASSume anything...:smug:

9. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I can attest that the Powerhouse 4x10 is a great cab. I have not run it with a Walkabout but it sounds great with a Mesa Big Block and and Eden WT800.

Shameless plug, mine is up for sale on TB classified as I'm trying to downsize.

For Sale - Mesa Powerhouse 410 Bass Cab - Now $500

Heavy Blue likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021