1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 vs. Avatar 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LilTort3608, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Hi guys!

So I just took my Avatar 4x10 cab to the shop due to some rattling noises, and was informed that the glue cracked in my cabinet, and the actual wood is vibrating off of the baffling inside. The shop said they'll only repair electronics and not anything wood related, so I'm left to make the choice of taking my Avatar apart to re-glue it, or find another cab.

I found someone local who is selling a brand new Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 cab for what seems like an insanely good price. I guess my question is, has anyone had any experience taking apart a cabinet for repairs, and if so, how big of a project would this be? Ideally, I'd prefer to not spend a ton of money, so I'm not sure if I should try to fix my current cab, or give up and get the Mesa. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Also worth noting: I would be running a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 as the head and play a G&L L-2000 bass.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It's probably worth seeing if you can open up the cab and taking a look at it. You can probably just glue it back or otherwise better fasten it and get rid of the vibration.

Mesa PH cabs are pretty nice and the PH410 is my go-to. Heavy but amazing tone and performance. Great for rock genres. You can use the tweeter control to change the voicing of the cab a bit too.