1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa PowerHouse 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Neil, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

I’m thinking of buying a Powerhouse 610 cab to put under my Carbine M9. I’m a little reluctant to make the purchase though simply because of the size but mostly because of the weight of the cab.

I would imagine with the low tailgate on my SUV it would not be too difficult to get the cab in and out. I could probably just tilt it back and slide it in. However even with the tilt back handles and wheels I’m wondering how difficult it will be to push the cab from the truck to the stage and back again…..after all it is 134 lbs.

If any of you would share your PH610 experiences with me I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. a 20 dollar hand truck will be all you need......more elaborate units with stair climber rails are nice tho'......for stairs or uneven terrain take the time to strap the thing to the dolly.....use a ratchet strap

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I just played through a 6x10 and had to move it from end of the stage to the other. Although I thought the cab sounded like the heavens, that thing is HEAVY.

I can't imagine moving that thing more that a few feet away on a straight line. Sure, it has casters, but I would think just getting it from a car to a stage is a hernia-inducing workout.

But, boy, does it kick butt . . .

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Sure - I've been gigging the PH 610 for quite awhile now, and have no intentions of parting with it - it's simply the best cab I've ever played thru...

If you can get it into your vehicle without too much trouble, you'll be all set - with it's upper handles and tilt-back casters, it really is quite easy to move around... Also, with upper AND side handles, lifting it isn't a problem with 2 people - although I can get it into my F150 by myself without any trouble...

- georgestrings

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Dude - really??? - my 125lb girlfriend can roll mine around without any trouble, so I don't know why it was so hard for you...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Here's mine, along side of an SVT-410HLF... It's really not that big of a cab, for how much those six 10s bring to the table sound-wise...

Rigpics.

7. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    ya know there was one here on craigslist for $400 the other day. i tried to snatch it up but alas........i dont care how much it weighs it would have been worth it.

8. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

Thanks guys.

9. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If you're looking for new...

I had a Mesa 6x10 Diesel and a Bergantino NV610. Different animals altogether, but I much preferred the form factor of the NV610. The tilt-back design was much easier to maneuver than the Mesa, which just has four wheels on the bottom. Also, it's 98 lbs. That extra 35 lbs or so is noticeable.

Soundwise, that's up to your ears. They are different beasts.

But the tilt-back design and weight was what sealed that deal for me.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had a Mesa PH412 for about a year, and that was as if not heavier than the 610 and I didn't have much problems getting it up into the back of my Expedition.
    I now have the NV610 but TBH I'd trade back if I had the chance! :bawl:
    I don't like the tilt-back stuff. My first big cab was the Diesel 2x15 with the huge like 4" Mesa casters and I like those. With tilt-backs you can't put anything on top like your amp and gigbag and even a bass or two and just roll it all in. I've thought about getting casters for the NV610, but have held off for now.
    Also not sure if the PH610 has this, but my 412 had spring-loaded handles on the bottom of the cab to help you get it into the back of an SUV/truck.

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, let me rephrase what I said, dude: sure, you can push it on a flat surface for how long as you can push a 140-something-pounds box on wheels, but most of the gigs I do are not on perfectly flat surfaces, nor is the path from my car to the stage or from my car to my house, etc.

When I tried it, I had to wedge-in the cab between the drumset an a wall, with no space to spare between each side and no way to wheel it in backwards, so it was a hassle to position.

and afterplaying sub-40 lb cabinets for 10 years, anything over 70 lbs seems to weight a ton.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    With all of the awesome-sounding upper-eschelon lightweight cabs on the market, it is no longer a requirement to lift a ton of cabinet to get an incredible sound as it was in the past.

The world is moving on. Lifting that weight might not be a problem for you - it is just unnecessary . . .

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Except that a ton of people (like me) don't like the "big sound from a small box" bit. The NV line has gotta be one of the top selling designs of the past 5~ years or so and they're all right at 100lbs. I tried the "light and loud" box stuff for a while and didn't like it at all.

14. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I have the PH412, before this i was using 2 2x10 cabs, the 412 is easier for lugging around then the 10's. The tilt back is great and the rails on the back make it easy for sliding up and down stairs. Not sure about the 610 but like others said the spring loaded handles on the bottom were a great idea for load outs and stairs.

Just get it. If it is too much it shouldn't be a problem to sell.

15. Eat your vitamins.

16. No pics no girlfriend!!!