Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 vs 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Aug 15, 2005.

1. OK, so I've decided I want one of these cabs. I was going to go for the 8x10, it's only a little more expensive, but I like the idea of a 6x10 as it's a little more individual and I could get it quicker due to the price difference.

I'm more after punch than bottom end with nice articulation. I use distortion for death metal and I'll be running a QSC RMX1450 bridged into whichever cab I get. Is the 8x10 "better" than the 6x10, is it worth the extra cash/waiting time?

2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Nothing wrong with waiting a little longer. A cab like that is a pretty long term decision. Either would kick ass. I'd be thinking more about transportability in the long run than time before purchase.
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

If you have a truck, or van to haul the cab go for the 810, be sure you have friends help ya out though moving it, the last thing you need is to pull a hernia before you play a show.

I was in the market for big cabs too, I think if I do go with a bigger sized cab it'll be a berg NV610 only 98lbs.

4. We get vans everywhere and I have four stout death metal band members to help lug gear about, I was concerned more about attitude etc. Would the 6x10 be as balls out as the 8x10, be brutal enough for silly technical riffs and huge rumbling stuff, all with bass distortion.
  5. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    IME- 610 tend to be better at articulating and have a clearer sound- whereas 810 have more bottom but are alos muddier. A gross generalization- but genreally true. :rolleyes:
  6. This is what I was thinking, the Mesa cabs are great for bottom end, I've only played the 4x10 and 2x10 but they were sick! Thinking maybe if I get the 8x10 it might be overkill, the last thing I need is mud.

The 6x10 will have the articulation and clarity, I just need to know if it's gutsy at high volume. I would think it was but I was looking for some clarification?
  7. ive seen various 6x10's(e.g. deeds of flesh) that just dont cut it. i've seen numerous 8x10's that were alright. and i've seen numerous 2 4x10's work real well. i think the 2 4x10's are perfect for providing the sufficent articulation and headroom/volume needed in death metal. i've been(or use to be) in the dm scene for a while like 4 years so i think i have some clue on this. first if you want to get a great sound, never go for the quicker option. i seriously advise buying the 2 4x10's. 2nd dont use distortion live. it kills all articulation AND bottom end from the sound. its true with me that a sufficent DM bass sound requires these things. a constant felt punch of bass(not just the sound) and some clang to break through the distortion of guitars and make your presence noticed. to acheive these things, you must have fairly new strings with a decent amount of tension. and active pickups. passive pickups just have way to bland mids live. since you have active hb's, i wouldnt scoops your eq that much, just hi-mids if anything. if u have to use low tension strings, keep the hi-mids. so many bassists in DM use really cheap gear and its really disappointing. there bass is hardly audible and there mids are as bland as can be. all they do is use distortion for tone. and this is just not acceptable to be looked at as a proficent/unique bassist in DM. i fashion my dm style around eric langlois of cryptopsy, even thou i think he could use a bigger rig live. if memory serves me right he uses a 6x10 too. and its eq'ed real well, but never has that sufficent punch i like. this is my best advice to getting you noticed and appreciated when your band plays live. also maniac like headbanging doesnt hurt at all.(well it does, but man does it get u noticed)
  8. 2 4x10"s are too much money and I won't have as many watts.

My distortion doesn't do either of the things you mentioned. Mine adds bottom end and treble articulation - I need a cab that will reinforce this further. Maybe if you play with your fingers, in which case I agree.

Try some Bartolinis - anything but bland mids on passive pickups. I'm using EMG's which are scoopy, but I boost the mids on my MXR, PSA-1 and on my bass(all upper mid-ish) and cut the extreme top end off(harsh treble).

I'm gonna go with the 8x10", I can always turn my low end down and EQ a little if needed. I just need the punch.
  9. how would 2 4x10's not have enough watts ?
  10. i've tried them all, passives just have bland mids esp in clubs. ESP with metal. if were talking about extreme brutal death metal, i don't see how ur distortion tone could cut through. what tuning are you in? standard B? B clean itself is hard to cut through, with dual guitars blasting. i just dont see this. tone is subjective, i'm just showing what i know from seeing and hearing many different bands over and over again and playing onstage. also trust me, it IS the distortion that is cutting that punch, try playing without the disto and if that doesnt work. well then...if i ever come to england you can have a free kick. and if your playing with a pick, this also cuts gut feeling punch. play with fingers for the kick.
  11. Definitely use fingers...much more low end. I disagree with distortion always cutting punch. It really depends on what kind of distortion you are using. My Boss Bass Overdrive sounds nothing like overdrive at all. It keeps the low and high end. When I had my 750x, the distortion sounded like a truly overdriven tube. All the sound from the preamp was still there, it's just that when you throw in the overdrive it adds more midrange (which meant more punch for me), but the midrange outweighed the bass and treble. It ended up sounding like the bass and treble were cut.

When I think of genuine punch, though, I think of well-balaned bass and low mids combined with treble snap.
  12. If I run my amp stereo I get 450W per side - 900W. If I bridge it into one cab I get 1400W.

We play in Bb standard. My guitarists lay off the bottom end and the gain, it's still brutal but not mushy on their part, hence I don't have to sacrifice my tone in the ways you are describing.

When I turn my distortion on it becomes a hell of a lot more punchy, there's no two ways about it. It's gutsy as hell.

I don't want to turn this into a fingers vs. pick thread but all I find finger playing in DM to do is sacrifice attack, and result in a "grindingly low setup" sound ala Alex Webster.
  13. is there not a parallel out on the bridged section?
  14. i play with a pick, and i'd say while it's really worthy of givin punch, it just enhances the treble that much more to the point where if your doing a fast riff overdriven, your not going to hear a lot of what your playing unless you blend more with your clean tone. fingerstyle is fatter, but alas, slower (unless your a bass god).
  15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Even the Mesa cabs have a parallel out.

16. well if you play with disto, i suggest pick as well.

u can daisy cab your bridged power into the 2 4x10's
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I dunno if anyone mentioned this, only skipped through.

Good luck even finding a Mesa 8x10, I hear they don't make too many...
    I'd go 6x10, I find them easier to haul and they sound just as good (if not better IMO). They have enough low end (PA can take more if need be, doubt it).
  18. I'd be buying new but this is what I was thinking, I might have a serious wait on my hands for an 8x10.