1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse/ Genz Benz Shuttle question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockinpop, Apr 11, 2009.

1. I was wondering if someone can answer this question for me. I have 2 "Mesa Powerhouse" speaker botoms, 1 is a 2x10 and the other is a 1x15. The 2x10 is rated at 600 watts @8 ohm and the 1x15 is rated at 300 watts @ 8 ohm. My amp is the "Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0". The amp is rated at 600 watts @ 4 ohms. When I connect both speakers to the shuttle can I damage the 1x15 being that i'm pushing 600 watts into a 300 watt cabinet? Or..... am I losing any power being that 1 cabinet is rated at 600 watts and the other at 300 watts. Thanks !!:bassist:

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    You will have no problem unless you place unreasonable demands on the 1x15, (ie: cranked all the way up with heavy lows). Listen to the speaker. Back off the volume if it starts to fart out.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    When you connect both 8 ohm cabinets to the amp, each cabinet will receive ~300 watts into what is not a 4 ohm total load. The total power into 4 ohms is 600 watts which is shared between the cabinets.

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Also, not all watts are created equal. 600 watts from a Mesa Boogie Carbine M6 could ruin almost any cabinet's day. 600 from the Shuttle may not be as imposing.

5. Thanks for the quick reply agedhorse. I also own the Genz Benz NEOX212 cab. I know this is a 4 Ohm cab .So with that being said, does that mean the GB cab will produce more power (loudness so to speak) then the 2 Mesa cabs?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, both set ups are 4 ohms.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    All the amp cares about is the total load. 2x8 ohm cabinets present a 4 ohm total load so the amp will deliver 600 watts into 4 ohms. Same for the 4 ohm NeoX212.