1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse PH112 cab...opinions and comparisons to other "super" 12's or 15's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, Aug 15, 2012.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Anyone here have good success with Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 (PH112) cabs? I've always liked Mesa gear, and they seem like they would make an awesome compact rig (perhaps a pair of them with a Walkabout head).

I know they are apples and oranges, but can anyone compare the PH112 to a Fearful 15/6/1 or 12/6/1, or maybe an Audiokinesis TC112? I'm also considering building one or two of the Fearfuls or getting a TC112, but the Mesas keep drawing my attention.

2. Just to compare "12's"

The AK TC12, the fEARful 12/6, and the fEARless 112 (you didnt mention it but its new and looks like an amazing piece of gear) are all based off of a 3012LF variant. The greenboy designs use stock drivers, the AK cabs use a custom 4 Ohm version.
    All these cabs also use a mid driver and cross over. The fEARful has the option for two different drivers and cross overs depending on intended use, but AFAIK the fEARless and AK do not have options on the mid drivers. The tone of the different mid drivers varies and will depend on the implementation of the cross over. Either way the tone of these drivers is subjective and will depend on what you want to do with them.
    The cross overs for each are well thought out, and are way more advanced than the off the shelf Eminance cross overs. The fEARful cross over plans are free and you can take a peak on what is going on there, but the fEARless and AK cross overs are proprietary. I know Duke's AK cross over is fairly involved, and adds a bit of weight to his cabs.
    All these cabs will be able to be driven to a much higher SPL than a standard full range cab. This is attributed to the huge xMax of the LF drivers. These LF drivers allow the cab if tuned so, to also go lower than full range cabs.

All this said, tone is subjective and its not going to matter what a cab can give you, if its now what you want. I would at least check them all out if possible. A lot of what has been mentioned can also be applied to the Baer ML-112 and Barefaced cabs, they are also worth checking out to give some perspective on cab options.

3. I haven't had a chance to play through one of their single 12' cabs but I have a PH412 and it blows every other cab I've played through away. If a pair came up locally Id consider picking them up for sure.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a PH212 and it's an awesome sounding cab.

A pair of used PH112's is on my local CL if anyone is looking.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have owned a gaggle of 12s (including PH112, LDS 12/6 and about 10 others.....EA, GB, Eden.....)

Tone is subjective, but clearly, a super 12 (like the LDS nEARful or a true fEARful, Audiokinesis TC12, etc) will absolutely CRUSH a conventional 112 cab (like the PH112) for volume and low end extension. There is NO comparison. I repeat, there is NO comparison. One may prefer the tone of the PH112, but in terms of performance, see above.

Chef is a good, objective reference, as he has an LDS 12/6 and has had a bunch of 12s as well (including Mesa and Audiokinesis). Chef-you out there???

6. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ok, so maybe they aren't in the same league as some of the "super 12's", but how are the PH112's in general as a bass cab?

7. Mesa gear is way better than average, but heavy.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here is a link to Alan's review of the PH112 in issue #5.

9. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Thanks! Great review of these cabs and the M3.

To anyone with a PH112...I know they aren't meant for this, but do you think the low mids and upper mids of this cab could allow it to be used for electric guitar as well in a pinch, provided that the lows and tweeter were turned down a bit?

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Mesa has way way way more of a distinctive "rock" voicing than any of the flat responding cabs you listed. They are great, sound very live and electric, yet grunty. Total opposite of the others, which are going for studio monitor flat type of sounds.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've searched for every thread about these cabs that I could find, and have read nothing but glowing reports. Take seriously what Pickles has to say about them: the Mesa Powerhouse 1x12s are nothing like those hi-fi cabs - but they most definitely do rock! :bassist:

Suggestion: If you do decide to get a pair of PH112s, mate them with a head that can really do justice to them, in terms of pure juice. Something like an M-Pulse 600 could be just the ticket... :meh:

MM