1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse vs. Diesel series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suraj, May 6, 2010.

1. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    I have a Mesa Bass 400 which i've heard was matched with the diesel cabs with EV speakers.
    So how much of a difference is there between a diesel and a powerhouse..??

Im basically talking about the 115's

Tonal differences..??

I look for a deep clear tone along with being warm and very very present. I like my presence to be a boost at 1.5k..

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I love Mesa 115 cabs. I owned an older EV loaded diesel cab and now own a pair of Powerhouse 115 cabs. The older cab had no horn so it was a more old school tone. Still had good high end but not sparkly at all. I really liked the cab and only sold it because I couldn't find a matching one and wanted a stack.

The newer ones sound fantastic as well but are a bit more modern sounding. The Mesa horns are really nice, not shrill or grating on the ears. You can't go wrong either way!

3. although the powerhouse designs are lighter, I prefer diesel/roadready cabs. I have 3 road ready cabs: 2-1x15s & a 2x10, and sold the 1 powerhouse 2x15 I had.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wish I could help, but I've only ever owned Deisel 15's, and Powerhouse 10's. It is true though, that the Deisel cabs are more "old school" sounding. Your 400 and my Deisel 215 would make a great pair, but I bet neither of us would give it up.

5. I've owned both and agree with the "old school" vs "modern" descriptors... I currently have a Diesel 115 loaded with a Kapalite 3015, which kind of puts it in between modern and old school. I love the form factor of the neo loaded Diesel 115 cause I can so easily carry it.

6. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    Thanks for all your responses...although i dont have any dough right now after i bought the Uber 212, I want to know just out of curiousity how my mesa will sound with a cab that was voiced for it..However, i look for a modern tone..curiousity is the only thing that rapes my bank account ;)

I could never try anything but Laney and Hartke in my area...hence the curiousity..

more than old school vs modern, i look for something which is very harmonically rich and present sounding. But also should have that deep chest hitting low end punch..

Im tired of describing tone in words ;) I do it different everytime..!!

7. I did this to my 2-1x15's, they sound even more amazing - full, rich, and clear.

I REALLY believe there is something to be said for playing a matched amp/cab setup. 2 Identical cabs makes this "match" even better. Just phenominal tone.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So, Suraj, how're ya liking that Uber 212? And you're using a Mesa head with it?, which one? I'm just curious, because I also use a Mesa head with the Uber 212. Bliss.

9. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    I wish I could answer that..Bought it from the US about two weeks ago but my friend is flying to me 2 weeks from now with the cab..I'll definately let you know after that..I only have a Mesa Bass 400 and a Hartke 3500 which is going.. So i'll be using the Mesa..times are broke, I cant own lots of stuff..

My friends also getting me some KT88's along with new caps and pre tubes:bassist:

Will service my Mesa, Put on some new strings and THEN play the Uber..!! I dont wanna play through it and have anything sound bad..
    Will report with results:bassist:

Back to the topic, If you put off the horn on the Powerhouses, then how would the diesels compare..??

By Vintage do all of you'll mean lesser looser low end with lots of mids and no sparkle..?? Compared to Modern deeper tighter higher but a little cold sounding compared to the Vintage...??