Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa prices in Europe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I really like what Ive read about the Mesa/Boogie Walkabout combo and Ive always liked their products. But when I went to look for the price I couldn´t believe it.
    The 12" version cost $999 in the USA but here it costs $2176!!! No, Im not joking.
    How can that be justified? I can see the shipping and taxes would make a sertain difference but more than double the price is redicolous. :mad:
    Im mostly sad cause I wanted that amp but will have to look elswere now. :bawl:

2. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Have you thought about travelling to the States and bringing one home with you? As flights to NY or Boston go for 350-500€ approximately, after buying a voltage transformer you'd still save like $500. As long as you don't have excess baggage, no one will care, not even the customs guys. If they give you some sh*t you can say you were doing a gig...

Men det är nog absolut löjligt hur mycket vissa grejer kostar här i Norden.

3. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    yeah i know what you are talking about, their prices are just ridiculous!!! anyway, try to buy used stuff on ebay. Also check the webpage musicstore.com, it's a german store they tend to have better prices, still i checked the walkabout 12" and it's pretty much at the same price that you are talking about but you can request a "special offer".

Hope i helped some how.

good luck!

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Jock

Not so, depending on where you are from, the Customs guys may be unusually interested! (UK, UK, UK!!). The Gatwick guru is particularly knowledgeable.....I know to my cost. BTW, he was a nice and reasonable guy but he knows his stuff!

I imported a Mesa Guitar combo and piad plenty of tax but managed to change the tappings on the transformer from 120V to 240V plus a couple of other small mods for minimal cost. THe MK 3 is now alive and well and playing on the UK south coast. Big savings.

My advice

1. Check if there is a simple mod to change voltage
    2. Get over to the USA and pick one up
    3. Have a great vacation

Send me a PM for the next step!

all the best
    T

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The reason for the price difference is because the US and Europe are a bit at odds; there have been quite a few import duties which restrict trade between the two groups. Then there are also huge shipping costs involved. Right now I'm selling 2 items to Europeans; a Jackson SL3 to a guy in Ireland and a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 to a guy in Norway. Both are getting very good deals by buying from me. The Irish guy told me to send it as a gift, and the Norweigan guy told me to mark it as a used musical instrument. Hopefully I'll be able to dodge customs.