Mesa Prodigy cab pairings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer9512, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I recently acquired a Mesa Prodigy at a steal of a price from GC online used section. Listed at $650?!:woot: amp sounds absolutely killer. Sad they quit making it.

Anyways my GK Neo 115 just doesn't sound right with this amp. It sounds good at low volume but even on half power setting the cab starts to distort on low frequencies very quickly and almost buzz. Never had any issues with this cab with any other heads before. Should I hunt down a second neo 115 or sell it and hunt down THE cab? Currently planning on getting an Aguilar GS412 even though I just play at home just because it's not often I see one for sale, especially in driving distance.

There are a few options locally that are interesting but are still hour drive just to test. SWR 6x10 Goliath Sr, Mesa traditional powerhouse 4x10, Swr golight 4x10, and a super cheap Vintage Ampeg 2x15 B25b cab are all local options. The Ampeg would be getting new speakers. Also there are 2 Aguilar GS112s. One with tweeter and one without. Can get both for under 600.

Online options are Bag End Q10BX-D or D12-D and Bergantino NV115

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Try an HPF. I use one before my Prodigy which eliminated certain notes overpowering certain cabs.

bassplayer9512 likes this.
  3. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I'm going to try some cabs out tomorrow at GC and maybe an Aguilar GS112 locally and see if there is any change. If not then it's time to hunt down a second Neo 15

4. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Damn I've been looking for a deal on that exact head. Lucky bastard!

5. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    This is my second Mesa head I have Snipes from guitar center. I got a Mesa D-180 from them in 2010 for $400 LOL. The salesman didnt know how the master volume worked and thought the amp was broken because all it would do is overdrive. You have to have the master dimed on these amps for clean. Took a shot and it worked great for me for years. I have had great luck with their used section and Mesas.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Yes a Good match would be another 1x15

likewise keep in mind that a 4x10 and 2x15 are roughly about the same for total sound pressure level.

Then again always exceptions.
    But you mentioned the used 4x10 and that would be another quick way to get to more SPL
    or rougly the same SPL before speaker distortion.

And with a slight advantage its possible the newer 2x15 neo would do a little more with a traditional
    typical Eminence loaded 4x10.
    but still roughly the same.

As far as the other 1x15 you mentioned getting distortion quicker.
    Its the name of the game. Some speakers dont handle as much power.
    its not alays a neo vs ceramic thing. its just the quality of the driver.
    whatever a driver does a driver does.
    always a better one out there, and of course justified by cost.

But a older 4x driver style used cabinet offers alot more power handling or moves more air than a higher cost single 1x driver
    of course fairly speaking a 4x high cost drivers would be thunder.
    But you can get alot of speaker area for cheap these days.
    Even some at one time were very high cost and expensive in the day.

there was cheapo 4x10 and expensive 4x10
    now used they are affordable power houses

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021