1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa prodigy/strategy vs. Ampeg SVT Cl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodrigues, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Mesa strategy

5.6%
  2. Mesa prodigy

11.1%
  3. Ampeg Cl

30.6%
  4. Orange Ad 200

4.2%
  5. Fender Bassmann 100/135

1.4%
  6. Matamp GT 200

2.8%
  7. Hiwatt 200

1.4%
  8. Ampeg V4B

23.6%
  9. Ampeg solid state

2.8%
  10. Mesa solid state

6.9%
  11. Fender Superbassman 300

9.7%
  12. Ampeg B15

6.9%
  13. Orange solid state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Mesa 400+

5.6%
  15. Sadowsky SA200

2.8%
  16. Darkglass microtubes 900

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Aguilar DB680/728

2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Hi,

there are a lot of old threads about this Topic, but I start a New thread because i guess you have more experience right now.

Which one is better for you and why? Sounds the mesa so cool as the SVT?
    I didn't geht the Chance to try the mesa.

Tell me your experience.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I hated the fact that I couldn't boost any mids on the Prodigy. The mid knobs is passive only and all of the voicing switch settings involve a mid cut. That all translated to mud city for me at gigs.

I really wanted to like it and wanted it to replace my SVT, but it didn't.

3. In order for folks here to form an opinion of what you may like, they are going to need to know a lot more than what you've given so far.

What type of music do you play?

What type of bass do you have?

What sort of tone and effects (if any) do you use.

What is your band situation... louder than heck drummer? How many guitars? How loud are they? Keyboards?

That's for starters. Otherwise, all you'll get is what other people like, which won't help you much.

Rodrigues likes this.
  4. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    That it was i suspected.
    I want the weight Form the mesa and the sound Form the SVT.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    slugger, dbsfgyd1 and kobass like this.
  5. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I play mostly rock. I have a Fender J, P and 55 singlecoil p.

I love tube Amps specialy ampeg.
    The weight of the mesa is the feature which would me geht one. Because I live in Hamburg and drive most of the time with the metro. For that the mesa would be fine. But I love the ampeg sound.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    No comparison IMO. The Ampeg has better eq, much nicer feel, and just sounds better to my ear. The prodigy is nice and light, but to me it sounds almost solid state, very much like the M9.

7. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    IMO M9 sounds good, but the feeling is not the same AS a tube amp and I am not sure if it does a good job in the mix.

I tried a lot of ampeg solid state but nothing compares to the classic SVT.

8. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    No mesa lovers?

Pbassmanca and dukeorock like this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I really like my M9 and 400+

Ellery, Pbassmanca and Rodrigues like this.
  10. OH there are plenty.
    You kind of figured it out it seems.
    Weight vs sound you like, solid state vs tubes you like?
    M9 sounds good but nothing compares to an SVT?

Seems like you know what you want.
    We're behind you.

SactoBass, dbsfgyd1 and Rodrigues like this.
  11. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    i want a aawww effect and I am not sure if I get that from a prodigy.
    We all new how a bass must sound.

I never heard something really good about the prodigy in threads. That is why i am asking.

12. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    I player the 400+ years ago, but i cant remember how it sounds. Some guys gold me that is a metal Maschine and mit for rock. Is it true?

13. No I would not agree with that statement.

Rodrigues likes this.
  14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    The subway 800 sounds like a deeper and cleaner d180, sorry I've never used any of their other heads.

Rodrigues likes this.
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I did not like the Prodigy at all. The least tube sounding tube amp that I’ve played. In between clean and buzzy there isn’t a tube warmth that you would expect. The Subway is a superior tube amp to the Prodigy.

Gabbs, Joshbazz, smeet and 1 other person like this.
  16. ChrisFlynn

ChrisFlynn

Oct 30, 2006
    DFW, TX
    The Prodigy is a good amp with plenty of tonal options, however nothing compares to an SVT CL - but I have no interest in carrying a boat anchor around. The Prodigy provides a good option. Another option, although also heavy is the Aggy DB 750-751. Inmo it sounds better than both.

LUCE and Rodrigues like this.
  17. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I guess I will be the contrarian and say that I found it very easy to dial in a very Ampeg-ish tone on my Prodigy, once I understood how the tone stack works and interacts. Once you understand the stack then dialing in mid-boost is easy. Max the passive mid control, set the voicing to the flat setting and then dial back bass and treble down from "noon" to taste. Very simple.

The SVT is a one trick pony (admittedly a VERY good trick). But, the Prodigy is significantly more versatile than the SVT. Yes, it can sound hi-fi, if that is what you want, but it is also easy to coax output tube overdrive from the amp, especially with the variable power options.

If you only want an SVT tone, then get the SVT. If you want versatility (both tone, weight and power), then you can't go wrong with the Prodigy.

Mpike, Pbassmanca, LUCE and 4 others like this.
  18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It sounds great in a rock context but it can do a lot more than that.

Rodrigues likes this.
  19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That'll certainly work to boost mids. For me, that setting meant that I didn't have the bass response that I wanted.

The SVT has been used in every style of music since its inception. The only thing that could make it a one trick pony is the player using it. It's like a P bass.

20. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    This. I REALLY wanted to like the Prodigy, but I could never get the warmth I wanted out of it. Had too much of a sharp edge to it, not enough roundness. Having played through SVTs before and liking the Ampeg sound in general, I went with the V-4B thinking it'd be closer to what I wanted and I loved it. Ultimately though, I wanted something that I didn't have to worry about tubes in, so now I have the Mesa D800 and it's a great amp. It's seems to be able to get a much warmer tone than the Prodigy. I've always liked the Ampeg ultra low function and really like the deep switch and voicing control on the D800. I wish the Prodigy would've had similar tone controls. It was a great amp, just not my thing. I like the SVT better.

outoftune and Rodrigues like this.