1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa radiator scout cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baileyboy, Jul 26, 2012.

1. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Hi, all

I currently have a Mesa Walkabout with two 112 scout cabs. I absolutely love this rig and it has served me well on the gigging scene. Can someone tell me how I can use the "Player Control Network" on the back of the cabs to bring out more mids and highs? Thanks

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    All the PCN does is change the crossover point to the tweeter. There are only 3 settings, so try them all. You will have much more impact using the wonderful eq on that thing. I advise cutting some lows (try cutting at various points under 150Hz, especially around 40-60) and then boost the mids a bit (try 3 areas and see what you like best: 1200Hz, 600Hz and 250 Hz). Play with the knobs!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "more mids and highs"

Lomo has part of the answer I would have given; which is "play with the PCN, and see what you like."

The other thing I'd say is:
    leave shelving bass flat
    boost passive mids to noon (flat is 10 oclock)
    cut bass at 50hz
    boost mids at 400hz
    boost treble at ~4Khz (don't be afraid to boost a lot here)
    trim shelving treble a bit.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    +1 to the EQ advice in both posts above.

I use a WA 12 + Scout 12 rig myself. I set my eq accordingly and then on the PCN, run one cab at 5k/Fullrange (usually the Scout 12 which feels like a bit deeper sounding cab to my ears), and the other cab to 4k/Sheen. Both cabs have the tweet attenuation set to noon (normal). if you want even more snap up top, try setting the PCN to 4k/sheen on one and 3k/bright setting on the other.

Also make sure you are delivering that mid and high info to the amp from your bass. So, don't over push the bass eq, and roll off the mid/highs. Sounds obvious, but I am often surprised at how some players set the controls on their basses and then complain they can't cut through.

I do not have an issue with mids, treble snap or cutting through the mix at all.

nice rig, you got there BTW :cool:

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to ALL above. Cut the lows, boost the mids, and try all 3 settings on the PCN.

6. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks to all that responded, will try these ideas out

7. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I go all pots at 12 oclock on mine, except 10' oclock mids...I have 15" and 12" combo cabs I select tweeters 10-11 oclock/5kHz on both. I'm waiting for 12" extention radiator, I'm very happy with any combination of these cabs. I use just 15" combo mostly...for large venues 15+12. Best sounding rig I ever had.

Well I think I'll try other settings thank you guys for inspirations W.