Mesa roadready cabs, oh my!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Ok, so I've heard all you guys who use these older EV-loaded RR mesa cabs swoon over how great they are, but I've always been happy with my 2 Eden 410XLT's and '76 SVT810.

Well, I picked up a roadready '84 2x15 that's in fantastic shape for $350, mostly out of curiousity. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. Played it at low volume off my Ashdown 500 and thought it sounded really good. So we're having practice the other day, and I'm using the Edens, and one of the drivers starts distorting horribly. What timing, huh? If there was ever a time to really test out the mesa, this was it. I plugged it in, cranked up the 500, played a few notes, and everyone (including me) went "holy sh*t!". Fat, gnarly, and LOUD! MUCH brighter and MUCH punchier than I would ever believe 15" speakers could be.

To be fair though, I pulled the grill off the ailing Eden 410, and all four drivers are creased big time. Who knows how long they've been this way, and they were probably seriously detrimental to the sound of the other 410... Still though, comparing one (the good one) 410XLT to this RR 2x15 for what I play (loud ass rock) is a no-brainer.

I now bow down to EV-loaded mesa RR cabs. I'm on the lookout for another one, or a powerhouse 1000, and my Eden cabs may get sold.

My $0.02, YMMV, FWIW, etc.
  2. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I luv my powerhouse 1000. Sell an Eden for a Mesa??

He's a witch- Burn him! Burn him!
  3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    how much better do the road ready's sound then the diesel? I have a diesel and it sounds great but i want to get a roadyready ph eventually to replace it (if anything to just match my road ready rack) so yeah, if there's anyoen out there that wants to sell theres or trade up for a diesel one, let me know.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Careful there, buddy...
  5. My Mesa RR 15" sounded far punchier and "in your face" than my former Eden's ever did. Combined with a RR 2x10 they made the damn finest bass cabs I ever owned; that is, until 3am load-out of course.
  6. mesa road ready's take another unsuspecting victim!!!.welcome to the club;).I bought my 2x15 back in '89 and I never looked back since..not so long ago I was even thinking of getting rid of it(for a much lighter rd.rdy 1x15) but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it....and my drummer won't let me,...but he does help me move it!(and the r.r 2x10)so I gonna keep it:)I love the amount of air it moves and soon you will too.
  7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    HeavyDuty, there was supposed to be retaliation with another MontyP quote. What gives?:(:D

-Made my point pretty well though.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Excellent cabs. I've kept the 2x15, 1x18 and 4x10. Heavy as sin and twice as strong sounding.
  9. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    man, i want a BOOGIE, actually i want 2 BOOGIES!!

if anyone can compare these 2 combo's for me i'd appreciate it..

RR 2X15 + RR 2X10

RR 1X15 + RR 4X10

i like the round low end that 15" speakers produce, and i like the punchy/cutting sound that 10" speakers produce, but i need them both together at the same time...

maybe i should go for a 1x15 + 2x10, then buy another 1x15, then buy another 2x10.. mmmm.. standing between 2 - 1x15+2x10's... i'm becoming erect thinking about it! (j/k..)..

or maybe a 1x18 + 4x10? i bet that would ripp..

man.. GAAASS...
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The 18 and 410 together, especially when driven by a 400+, results in pure thunder. Outside use only!
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Check your PM...
  12. 1 400w, 8ohm 15" is going to be far more sturdy and durable than a 4 ohm 2x15. Go for the 1x15,2x10 setup. You can always add another 15" down the road but you won't want to. That setup is strong, loud, deep and powerful; all you need (also all you could possibly carry!)
  13. i play a RR 1x15 alot as a hous amp at a local club we frequent,

honestly i could NEVER get a ound you guys describe out of it,

It run by and old ampeg tube head from the 70s, one of the HUGE ones, a pb-600 ???

Anyway, that's my input

14. I had a genz benz 2-10 xb2 and a carvin 1-18 I sold the carvin got a eden 2-12 for my lows then traded it for 2Mesa 1-15s. I dont know if they are road ready or powehouse or diesels or what all i know is that they are the most amazing sounding cabs I have played.. a little weak on the high end though but thats why I have a 2-10 on top of them.
  15. I have two Diesel 1x15 EV loaded and 2x10 diesel EV. I like all of them but prefer just one of the 1x15 with my 400+. The 2x10 sounds good to but the single cab is just more focused. I'm considering selling the 2x10 (in perfect condition, only 2 years old hardly used) for $350.00 firm.

I never have tried the RR cabs but from what everyone says they are even better than the Diesels. I bought all of them because they were the last of the EV loaded cabs in my area that were new. I might let the other 1x15 go too for $350.00 firm. I'm keepin at least one of them. Maybe someday I'll get a RR, but man they are heavy!!!!!! Maybe not...:rolleyes:
  16. Diesel and RR cabs are not comparable; I have owned both. The former are perhaps a tad "slushier" in comparison.
  17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Yo Mad,

What do you mean?
  18. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Whats the sound difference between a RR 15 and a diesel 15?
  19. I wish they still made the 1516,those cabs were awsome!!...I had a chance to buy one used(rd.rdy.)...thought about it too long and someone else snagged it...I guess it sucks to be me