Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa RR 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 7, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do these cabs sound?
    Compared to SWR´s Goliath 410?
    Whats the dimentions of that Mesa cab?
    How heavy is it?

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Best I have ever heard IMHO. Thats why I own 2 of the older ones with EV's inside.

Not sure since I'm not that familiar with SWR's cabs. I'm not a fan of SWR's heads though.

I'll measure when I get home tonight for you if no one else is able to before then.

Around 130 lbs. each. Not light by any means but they don't sound light either.;)

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    Do you know how to tell if the drivers are original?
    Do they have to be removed?

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    bump ;)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I checked out a bunch of 4x10's, including Hartke, Ampeg, SWR, Eden, GK, Peavey, Fender, Trace Elliot, and my absolute favorite was the Mesa Boogie Road Ready and Diesel cabs. To my ears, it was the most articulate, tonally balanced, and accurate across the widest range. It has good, tight, lows, pleasant mids, and decent high end (though not on a par with the newer cabs with the killer tweets, like Epi, Berg, and Accugroove). I really had figured that my choice would come down to the SWR Goliath and the Eden 410XLT, but the Boogie left them both in the dust as far as note definition and tonal balance goes. Yes, both Eden and SWR have a "full" sound, but in certain frequency ranges (say, between G and A on the E string) there was very little definition from note to note.

As far as the exterior dimensions go, the Boogie 4x10 is about the same as the Eden or SWR, but it is way heavy. I think mine, which is the Diesel "Deep" version, weighs something like 120 lbs.

In my opinion, the older Mesa Boogie Road Ready and Diesel cabs are the best 4x10's out there. Of course, I haven't checked out the Epifani T-410UL... :D

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    Has anyone tried one with Eden drivers in it?
    Does it sound different? Any info about Mesa with Eden speakers are welcomed.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I am not sure which speakers were in which cab, but when I bought my Diesel 4x10, I actually tried out three different 4x10's, and of the three, there were three visually different 10" driver types and two different tweeter horns. They were all fairly close in sound, but you could perceive some sonic differences. Needless to say, I bought the one that sounded the best to me.

I also have a Diesel Powerhouse, Jr., which has an Eden 12", four Clelestion 8"s and a horn. It is a very punchy, mid to high focused cab, and it matches up pretty well with my 4x10. It is my practice room rig. :D

Tom.