Mesa RR rewire help needed! Please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Apr 28, 2003.

1. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    ok, i have an 8 ohm 2x15. i wanted to make it 4 ohms so i can get the most out of my GK 800rb.

so i bought 2 EVM 15L's, 8 ohms each, 400 watts each.

now, i go to the inside of the cab and there are two white and two black wires coming off the 1/4 jack.

i read that the positive should come off the inside ring, and the neg off the outside ring. BUT... it's the opposite. so i just flipped the polarity. it sounds good, but not nearly as loud as it was before, it sounds like it's still 8 ohms, to me.

i tried making one out of phase, crap. i tried making the other out of phase, crap.

so, now i am at the point where i want to rip out the guts and start fresh.

should i just have one white and one black and then split the two to each driver? is this the correct parallel wiring procedure?

i have looked all over the net, and i may be looking at the wrong sites, and can't find anything to help me.

all your help is appreciated.

2. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    should one driver be out of phase? and which part of the jack is + and -? inside or outside?

3. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca

both speakers should be in phase. you can check for this by hooking up a speaker cable to your cabinet and touch the other jack to a 9 volt battery. both speakers should go out or in together. as far as the series/parallel question, it's been a while since i've had to worry about stuff like that so i don't really remember what the correct way to hook things up are. why don't you try a search on talkbass or on google?

i could be wrong but i don't think it matters which you make + or - on the jack as long as you keep it consistant and hook up the + wire from the speaker to whatever you made + on the jack. does that make sense?