1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Scout 12 Recordings request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NightCat, Oct 24, 2013.

1. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I am saving up for the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 or maybe the 15. I'm sure the 12 is loud and deep enough for me but the 15 is only $100 more... At 51 years old I now only play coffee shops and brew pubs so do I really need the added fullness of the 15? Right now I am using an old SWR Workingman's 12 which "almost" has all the volume I need. I love the amp but it is a bit too clean for my style. I almost never use it without the VT pedal on the front-end set to a very mild tube tone.

I am looking for recordings where I can clearly hear bass players using the Walkabouts Scouts. I know there is 900 pages of discussions on the Walkabouts but I got frustrated trying to find audio examples. Youtube is very limited on this too.

Can anyone post Walkabout Scout recordings? Maybe this will help keep my GAS under control until I have the cash.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have no recordings, just keep in mind that the 15" is a rather large and heavy box.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    ....with a single, ridiculously inadequate handle on the top. If it had side handle it's be a cinch to haul:rollno:

I don't know how loud the brew pub gigs are. The Scout 12 sounds plenty full and round, but it's only as loud as any other top quality "normal" 112. I'd opt for another 12 to go under the combo unless your volume requirement is modest. I would not get the 15 over the 12 if the reason was tone. If you are worried about volume, then the 4 Ohm 15 will satisfy, but I HATED carrying it. YMMV:p

4. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    VERY good points guys. I really like the size of my WM12. I would just DI to the PA if the Scout 12 wasn't loud enough or pull the head and buy a bigger cab. I just don't see "loud" in my immediate future. I wonder how weird it would look to set the Scout 12 combo in top of a Scout 15 extension cab?

I do need some tunes.....

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, I hate to throw a wrench into what has up until now been similar opinions, but....

I have a 15" Walkabout Scout stack. I have never had any trouble carrying the combo or the bottom cab. The combo has a top handle (kind of a thick leather thing) and the bottom has a side handle. I walk into a club with one in each hand if it is a fairly short haul. And I am an average Joe guy at 6'1" 180lbs - 195lbs. (depending on how close to Christmas I step on the scale) Not exactly a body builder. Also, if it is a long haul, I stack them both in a tiny little Magna Cart and it rolls fine and doesn't even strain the cart. So, load in isn't a big of a factor as some might have you believe (unless they just aren't very string to begin with..... not a put down, just observation).

Tone wise I have A/Bed the 12" and 15"combos in a store before I bought. First off, I think volume wise the Walkabout Scout 12" would eat the SWR for lunch. These things can get LOUD! And the tone of the Walkabout head is simply superb. That head gets used as often as my vintage Ampeg V4. Now, as far as comparing the two (12" and 15") here's what I found. At lower volumes, the 12" could not only hang with the 15", but with a little EQ tweeking, they pretty much sound the same. But the 15" can do bigger, warmer tones louder than the 12" to my ears. (I don't begin to know the physics so I'm just going off of what I heard.)

I prefer the 15" for both tone and volume (and the stack of two of them together is GLORIOUS!) but I play louder gigs than you I'm assuming.

Here's my gut feeling. I honestly think that the 12" Walkabout Scout combo will get the job done for you if your requirements are simply to be louder and warmer than the SWR. I think the SWR Workingman 12 can't hold a candle to the Walkabout Scout 12 in any regard whatsoever. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how these things perform.

Sorry, I don't have any Walkabout 12" recordings. I'm trying to find the CD from a recording I did for a church micing the 15" combo. If I find it I will find a way to post it or share it with you some other way.

Based on what your requests are, I would not hesitate to encourage you to try the 12" combo.

Here are mine from the sale thread when I bought them.

Attached Files:

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    As for this part, if you need two I would highly recommend staying with the 12" for your extension cab. Two of the same cab will get your same tone only louder. I don't think you would gain a ton by making the extension cab a 15" if the combo is a 12".

7. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Cool! That comment alone cinches it.

It isn't something I would be likely to do. I am going to struggle just to afford the Scout by its self.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area

Attached Files:

9. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    I think this video represents the Walkabout tone very well. Note - not the scout cabinet but the TKS 112 sound is not very far off IMO.

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I've seen a tonne of guys playing a WA12 and only one guy playing the 15.

If you won't ever get an extension cab...or not for a long while...I'd say go for the 15.

If it were me, however, I'd be grabbing the 12 for form factor and use an extension when I'd need more volume.

If I had a truck I'd opt for the 15.

What a great combo.