1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Scout 12 vs. Berg EX12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jul 22, 2007.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I am currently using a Walkabout head into a Berg EX12 and a Bag End S15. Love it! I never tried the Scout cabinet and am wondering about the bass response. It would potentially replace the Berg in this rig. I'm always in search of the max beef. Thoughts?

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've used a Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo on top of a Berg EX112 for a couple years. It's quite an amazing sounding stack. I would imagine a Walkabout Scout on top of a Bag End S15 would pretty damn sweet too. The Scout cab gets some really chewy mids that cut very well. And the passive radiator on the bottom of the cab helps too. Gary

3. The Scout 112 is one of the best I've heard. It will have higher SPL and more low end than the Berg. Plus, the Scout 112 has a tweeter, so much more extended high end than the EX. The new model has a three way adjustable crossover that is very cool. Highly recommended if you are using a Walkabout head.

4. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    More? Did someone say more?!:)

Ok, I'm hooked. The Scout is 4 ohms, is that responsible for the higher spl or is it just a more efficient design?
    Gary, is your Walkabout ok powering a 4 ohm Scout and (I'm assuming) an 8 ohm ext. cab?

5. The Scout cab comes 4ohm standard, but can be ordered in 8ohm version for no extra cost. It is also quite light, and uses a neo 12. Not sure about the SPL, since manufacturers are quite loose about those spec's. It is quite efficient though, and would put out more volume and low in in a head to head 8ohm match-up with the Berg 112 IMO.

Also, I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the 112 Extension Scout cab has more internal cab volume versus the Walkabout Scout combo cab, since it does not have the large 'cut-out' for the head. I've never A/B'd the combo versus the extension cab, but my guess is the extension cab might have even more ooomph.

6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    There's that word again. MMMMmore...

I've just got to try one of these. Thanks you guys!

7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Embly,

My Walkabout Scout is the 4 ohm Version. The Bergie EX112 is an 8 ohm cab. So I am driving a lower impedance than 4 ohms and it's never broken a sweat, gotten hot or shown any signs of fatigue.

I agree with Ken (Kjung), the Bergie Ex112 might have a bit more ooomph, and internal cabinet volume. Since it is used as an extension cab on bottom, it seems to mate extremely well with the Scout. I also like the fact that it puts the tweeter of the Scout on a higher overall level closer to my ear. If you're going to score a Scout, you might want to hang on to your Bergie EX112 and try that mini stack. I'm not saying it would be better than the Scout on top of a BagEnd, but you might like the punch and focus. Check it out at least if you have the chance. Gary

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While I've not tried the Berg stuff, I do have a Walkabout Scout, and it's beefy, fo-sho.
    KJ is right in that the Scout extension cab does have more internal volume as "the nest" for the head isn't there.
    You want real beef, get the Scout 15...whew!
    That was too much for me...

9. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    It would be ideal to be able to A/B/C all 3 in various configs, but logistcally tough. My modus usually requires me to sell something to get something. I heard GC is blowing all Mesa stuff out, maybe I can be a royal pain and bring my rig in to Chicago to comparison shop. Size and weight are crucial to me. If I can't carry it up a skinny stairway from my basement and fit it in the trunk of my Saturn it's no go.

The head is getting upgraded at Mesa right now (bought used, no receipt, and they are doing the work for FREE!).

Chef, do you use the Walkabout/Scout for your upright?

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For upright: heck yeah, it's awesome for dat.