1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Scout cab 112 vs a Aguilar DB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phil-osopher10, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I have a mesa boogie walkabout head and i was wondering what would be better, pairing it with a mesa scout extension cab, the older version with the jack inputs (ps. I can't seem to find any info on these so any help would be much appreciated!) or with an Aguilar DB112.

What are your opinions?

2. I used to have a pair of DB112's with a WA and they were great. Very vintage overall sound and very full. Never heard the Scout cab though. It might help if you describe what sort of tone you're after. Everybody raves about the Scout combo but a few people have said they prefer the DB112 pairing. It might be a matter of personal preference.

3. Well I don't really know how to describe the tone I'm looking for, though I know it shouldn't be muddy I really wish I had the opportunity to test them. But that is out of the question. Which would be louder? would there be a massive difference between the two?

4. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I have a WAS 8 ohm 12 combo that I pair with a Berg AE112. I have also used the head with just the Berg. I have played through a DB112 with a Tone Hammer head. I love the WA head.

If I had a standalone WA head and was pairing it with a bottom, I think the WA extension cab would be my last choice. While I like the tone of the cab, it is ill matched for the power from the head limiting the amount of power you can use from the head. The Berg allows you to use more of the heads power range. It sounds different than the WA cab in that it is less vintage sounding, which IMHO is a good thing. I suspect the DB112 will be similar to the Berg in power handling and closer to the WA ext cab in tone.

This all becomes moot when you use 2 8 ohm cabinets. The Berg AE112 and WAS Combo together sounds large and lets me add a focus in the upper mids from the Berg.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1. The Scout combo sounds great, but you trade stage volume for convenience. With the Scout extension, you also trade away the convenience of the combo.

6. So the DB112 would be louder than the scout extension cab?

7. Where can i find the technical specification on the mesa?

8. Mesa doesn't publish efficiency specs on the Radiator 12 or 15 but the Radiator 12 has a custom 4 Ohm version of the Eminence 2512. It's a fairly efficient driver as you can check it's specs:

Eminence speakers - Eminence Delta Lite II 2512 12" neodymium speaker. Eminence Delta Lite II 2512 lightweight neodymium speakers.

I'm not sure how much different Mesas custom 4 Ohm spec would be but in the Mesa Walkabout Mega thread another user wished to go with the 8 Ohm option in his combo and was shipped a standard 2512 directly from Eminence. My thinking is they must be close.

I'll add that I like the Radiator 12 extension cab. I use it with my Ampeg PF-350 and Eden WT400 at different times depending on what sound I'm going for. I personally find it to be very efficient. Tonnes of natural bottom and warm mids. With the player control network, the highs can be set to what ever's your pleasure. I usually turn the horn down and dial in some dirt with the Ampeg and with the Eden I'll set the crossover to bright and bring the tweeter up to 75%. Very modern to my ears. It's a very versatile cab.

9. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    My scout came with a 4 ohm speaker. I swapped it out for a 8 ohm from Mesa. I did so for two reasons.

First, I already owned the Berg AE112 which was 8 ohm and I wanted to use it as an extension cab with the WAS and run 4 ohm total.

Second, I was surprised at how quickly I hit the zone of extraneous sound with the 4 ohm speaker in the combo. I thought it would change with the 8 ohm speaker. It did not. I did not discern a difference of usable volume between the 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker. I did however perceive a volume difference using the WA head and just the 8 ohm Berg.

Will a single DB112 be louder than the WA extension? You have to check it out yourself. I don't think specs are going to give you the answer. Having heard the DB112, my guess is that it is a good match for the WA head and will be louder than the WA extension cab.

In the end, it is a single 12. You will only get so much from a single 12. If that meets your volume/tone needs cool. Depending on your needs, you may want to go with a single 15 or plan on getting a second 12.

On the 15 front, have 2 Berg EX115's. I have played the WA head with a single cab (nice, more volume than a 12, more low end) and with 2 of the cabs (awesome! I get plenty of volume and vintage tone with my vintage Fender's or fat modern from my Dolphin).

I hope that helps. I love the WA head. My other go to head is a '72 V4B is that helps you understand the tone I go for.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've owned both, but sold the Scout cab because I greatly prefer the DB cabs. The Scout goes deeper, but can sound muddy. The DB's are voiced with more midrange emphasis.

11. Why not the Powerhouse 112?

12. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    You know what would sound great with the WA head if you don't mind a ceramic magnet? A GS115.

13. You boyos know your stuff! I'm currently looking in the secondhand market so have limited choices and at the min these are the two, I would plan on getting a second if i really needed it. I also think the aguilar may be newer as the mesa extension cab is the old model with just jacks. but I don't know when they were introdued!

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just bought a pair of powerhouse 112 cabs to go with my walkabout head and am really happy with them. They sound so full and well balanced. They are very efficient cabs and really compliment the web tone. I have a scout combo as well and they two rigs sound different. The scout combo is darker, warmer and has more rowdy mids. The 112 cabs are more open sounding.

Not sure why the ph112 cabs are not more popular. They are outstanding.

15. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    what he said- i tried his rig and it rocks. very compact too those PH 112...