1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MESA Scout Extension without radiator? ...Danger? :-)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wimpy, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I use Scout Cabs for long time and I still love them. Well I had Idea to build clone of these cabs and put it to club where I play often. So my idea was to build Scout without radiator with original Mesa driver and horn. My idea was If there will lack of bass (becouse no radiator) I can still put radiator in it. Well that Scout copy works great without radiator too! I did not make deep A/B test but there is plenty of bass frequencies in that clone . My clone sounds maybe louder real Scout sounds maybe more tight but not deeper. Well my question is if there is some danger to damage driver becouse radiator could works also as "secure pump"…what do you think? Thank you for comments W. (sorry my english)

View attachment 2921297

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, the power handling may be reduced for equivalent low frequency volume.

wimpy likes this.
  3. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Thank you! So do you think there is some risk to break driver becouse no radiator in it? Thanks again W.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes.

BadExample likes this.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ahoj Wimpy, I hope the "new scout" project goes well.
    agedhorse is the best source for technical answers about Scout cabs. I would have to agree with him that just putting a driver in the same sized box as the Scout, but without the passive radiator, would completely change the specs for the cab and risk damage to the driver. The passive radiator changes the tuning of the box and without it, I would think the box would just be too small.

Have you tired other cabs with the Walkabout ? It works so well with so many other cabs its definitely worth a try.
    I know that I stopped using the Scout/Walkabout cabs several years ago because I felt the were not very efficient designs. Great small cabs for sure, but not efficient enough to get the most out of the Walkabout amp.

s pozdravem

joebar likes this.
  6. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Ahoj :)
    well I sold my WA head and now I'm using Subway amps, I realy like them (I like non plus version little better). Well I had chance to try some other cabs but I still stay with Scout cabs, for biger shows I use Bassman 500 head with Bassman 410 sometimes with 115. This clone was just test it's very light with great sound. I was talking about it with one soundman and he told me about this risk, so I just want to find more over here ;-) "taky s pozdravem W. :)"

GregC and pfschim like this.
  7. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    ...so what to do? Bigger port maybe?! =)

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You would need to go back and redesign for whatever driver and box response necessary.

9. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    well but this driver is special so it's hard to find specifications :-/

10. Especially so if you try to pick up the deep by large amounts of eq. How much is large will cost you a driver and time to test to determine ;)

On the port, you might get by with an adjustable port and experimentation.

Get a $100ish DATS speaker test rig for about $100 if you want to find the TSPs of an oem driver. Not perfect but close enough for mosy DIY cabs.

11. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I forgot It's extension version not combo cab, I know it will change tuning without radiator but it' s not that small as combo cab...will see, thank you for comments to everybody

BadExample likes this.
  12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hodně štěstí !

13. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    díky...budu ho potřebovat :)

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Without the radiator, it's untuned and the power handling falls by over 50%. Doesn't sound very good either.

15. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    o.k. thank you Agedhorse...well but which one? Polk's Audio radiators are o.k.? =)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  16. Maybe you can order the original type from Mesa or your local dealer?

I don't know much about passive radiators, but I guess there is a difference in the "stiffness" of the suspension. So I think if you just get one the same size, it may or may not work well.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The moving mass is an important parameter as well. It's not uncommon to see added weights used for tuning purposes in subwoofer applications.

BadExample likes this.
  18. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Copy of Scout Clone_03.JPG

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No, it won't have the same mass and compliance.

20. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

i'd recommend emailing mesa to see if they have a specification sheet for the driver. typically drivers are specifically designed to have a specific volume enclosure and going outside of those spec's would not be optimal. since you are changing the design by not having a radiator, that could effectively negate its original design so you'd want to find what is recommended for a sealed enclosure.

not the same driver, but just to give you an idea of the spec sheet you want to try to attain

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2012.pdf

upload_2018-2-27_11-16-56.