Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Scout W/ Extension Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I just got my extension cab for my Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. The extension cab is made just like the Scout cabinet with 1-12 and the downward firing radiator. Man this thing sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it out with the band. I'll give a report after I jam with a band.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I refuse to believe until I have seen the wounds in your hands and feet, and have place my finger in your side, and have seen pics of your new amps!

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    :hyper: From an Ampeg stack to this...my ears and my back are happier!

4. looks very nice. never played a mesa though. And I love your cirrus, I want one too :crying:

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I had never played a Mesa until about a month ago and now you see the results :bassist: The sound I was looking for. I was jamming last night and cranked it up to 3 when my wife squealed that I needed to cut it down as she was afraid the pictures on the other side of the wall were going to shake off ;) Mission acomplished :D When I hit a certian note on the B string the acoustic hanging above it would ring out like someone strummed it HEHEHE. I got my Incase gigbag this week which holds all my cables, strings tuners pedals etc. I can now do most gigs with the little combo and the gig bag..one trip, no more multiple trips back out to the truck etc. I don't know if I am getting smarter or lazier as I get older but I like it.

6. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    very nice setup.... i too went from an Ampeg stack (B2r head and 6x10) to a Mesa Walkabout and two newly aquired Aguilar GS112s. Brought them to practice last night and the bandmates were floored by the volume they put out for their size and their articulation.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Will you be stacking it vertically in future? I wouldn't be afraid of the upper passive radiator losing its floor coupling, just as it's not worth worrying about getting all your ports/vents down to floor level.

Alex

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I don't know yet. I wondered if that would have much effect on it. When I looked at the setup it was stacked and it is made to be stacked. I'll let you know how\if it has any effect when I try it.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hmmm.... that's got me thinking. Perhaps I should get a matching cab for my Walkabout too?

[​IMG]

10. How does the walkabout scout actually sounds? I think I fel in love with it :hyper: I'm looking for a new rig, maybe the walkabout is it?
    Anyway, I play mainly rock and metal. The good old rock (led zeppelin and stuff), stuff like Alice Cooper, and metal (some sort of In flames-sound), what do you guys think, will the mesa be perfect for that?

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Go for it Benjamin! :hyper: Anyway, I'm able to get a lot of different sounds from this little amp. My usual sound is a big full sound, kinda like Nathan East gets on the newest live Clapton DVD, when I'm using the Spector. I can also get a pretty good Steve Harris sound with my pbass using the eq available. I haven't played the Cirrus enough thru this yet to have a "favorite" sound. Its very deep and thick, warm but clean. It comes with a book that gives you suggested settings for certain tones like R&B and "Driving Rock". They will get you pretty close and you can easily tweak from there. They are pretty expensive though the combo was $1099.

12. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Humblerumble...

Just curious if your combo was the 8 ohm version. I have one of the 4 ohm versions, and I'm hesitant to get the extension cab because the Walkabout is not recommended to be used with a 2 ohm load. If you do have the 4 ohm version, have you had any problems with the amp overheating? I definitely agree with your description of the sound. It's like no other combo I've ever played through.....clean and loud and you can carry it around with one hand.

13. bassplayer#7

bassplayer#7

Jun 10, 2004
    Just bought my mesa walkabout w/ext today. It is everything you said and more. I also play a dble bass and it sounds great on it. :) :) :bassist:

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Humblepie has the 8 ohm version, which makes it safe to run the extention cab. DO NOT run another cab off the 4 ohm version; you'll ruin it eventually.

If you want, you can order another Scout cab in 8 ohms to drop your Walkabout head into, and then add the extention cab to that. I may do something like that in the future, so depending on the gig I can just swap the head back and forth between the two rigs. I think the Scout combo without the head runs around $400 or less, which doesn't make it sound too unfeasable to do both rigs.

Hmmmm...... another Walkabout Scout stack.... this time in purple suede perhaps?

15. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Actually my Scout IS the 4ohm version. I was not going to get an extension which had been my plan and was totally bummed about it. I called Mesa and spoke with a bass tech for about 30 minutes and told him the deal. He said that they had been torturing the Walkabout head with this exact setup and had not been able to blow one up no matter how hard they tried. Mesa was going to work with me on switching to an 8ohm, but that drops the combo to around 200-225 watts when running it alone. He said that since I was going to use the combo alone about 75% of the time not to even consider the 8ohm. He recommended the 4ohm extension to match mine. He spent a lot of time on the phone listening to my concerns, it was like talking to a Mom and Pop operation. After that I spoke with a friend of mine who has a degree in sound engineering, and he agreed with everything the tech had told me.

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Whoa! I was mistaken; I could have sworn you said you bought them as a matching set. Now you've got me wondering about running the Walkabout at 2 ohms..... another in black crocodile with a wicker grille, hmm?

17. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    They were sitting at the music store as a set, I mean the store ordered them that way from Boogie. I just freaked out when I went back to get the cab and found it was 4ohms. I looked around for a 212 cab and my guitarist buddy who got me started on Boogie when I heard his Road King setup, told me I should call their tech support and ask their opinion. and thats when I got the 2ohm info. I hope they are honest, they sounded like they knew what they were talking about :meh:

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think they would have no reason to be dishonest about that. Especially when that information could be possibly damaging to their amps and reputation.

Hmmm.... 2 ohms. ~600 watts. Tempting dumplings, indeed...

19. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Sorry to stir up the "ohm controversy." I have no reason to doubt the tech from Mesa, but I'll feel a lot better if someone adds a reply to this thread who has actually done a 4 hour gig running a 2 ohm load through their Walkabout head and hasn't fried it. I'm adventuresome...but not that adventuresome.