1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Scout Walkabout "crapping out" on a "popped" C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T. B. Player, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hi all -

Thanks to a fellow TBer, I was able to score a Mesa Walkabout 15". It's outstanding, delivering tone that I've heard in my head for the past 10 years. At a gig last night, I had both the best compliment and the most aggravating experience.

First the best - the sound man (who has worked for Springsteen and does USO shows) said he really liked the tone of my bass...and coming from a sound pro, that says something.

The worst, however, was that I needed to kick in a whole bunch of treble and knock the volume down for a couple of slap/pop tunes. The settings for most of the night made a "popped" high C sound like a "pooped" one. I thought I'd blown the speaker, but that's the only thing that sounded like crap. Everything else was crisp...even down to the low C's that I had to crank out for some of the dropped D tunes.

Thoughts as to why? Bad speaker? Bad tube? Anyone else have this experience with their Mesa? Appreciate the assistance!

Z

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I would think, and I base this on nothing what- so- ever, that you may have found the weak spot in the crossover where you can pick up some distortion.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Could it be the tweeter clipping? Need to pad the input to the WA preamp?

Which instrument were you using?

4. It doesn't surprise me that you had to dial in a lot of treble for slap. It's probably the most naturally 'un-slap' combo out there....

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If it's a newish version with the player control network knob on the back, try selecting a different xover point. Maybe you need to back the gain off? Blown tweet? I'm no slapper, but IMO, although it excels at a more traditional bass sound, the combo can be great for slap tone. Something is definitely wrong.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, certainly try out some different settings on the spkr, maybe 5K, (the highest), and dial it back a bit. OR, depending on how your eq was set, and what bass you were using, you may have over-reached with the cab a bit. I find I need more spkr than the Scout cab has to offer, but supposedly, the 15 can hang with the best of them.

7. My 6 string Adler - Bartolini Pre-amp in it.

Don't think it's the tweeter, but padding the input might do it.

8. For anything else, it was fantastic for sure. I'll try the crossover suggestion too. It if was a blown tweet, it would do strange things with higher treble settings. Higher treble actually made it sound better.

Thanks again!

Z

9. Seeing you have a Walkabout, I appreciate the feedback!

Thinking of getting a Radial Bassbone to switch settings on the fly...

Thanks much!!

Z

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have the WA 12 (and use a Scout 1x12 ext at times). The WA is perhaps not the very best slapping amp in that it does not do the sizzly high end thing that slappers seem to like. OTOH, I can get perfectly useable slap sound out of the WA 12 by not pushing the gain into the warm breakup zone (keep it under 11 o'clock), dialing the EQ section (cut some mids and push some 1.2k and up), flipping the xover (player control network) to either sheen (4k) or bright (3k). You might also push the horn control a bit past noon (0 db).

Seems to work for me, but I just pop/slap for occasional effect, and not throughout entire songs or sets, so YMMV.

good luck

11. +1 I thought my WA 12" scout wouldn't do a decent slap tone, but it's EQ is VERY adaptable. Even without using the semi-para EQ the WA's bass, mids & treble are darn good. But using it allows heaps of scope. All IME/imo etc ;)